21 September 2007

Sheepdogs, Part 2

Word on the street is that pictures from the Sheepdog Championships are coming my way today, so let me rhapsodize about the Soldier Hollow Classic this one last time (until next year).

I ate a lamb sausage dinner at the championships. It might seem wrong to watch sheepherding and then eat the competitors, but it's not. It's just what those sheep have coming to them, with their bad attitudes and hoof stomping at the hard-working sheepdogs who have great, endearing names like Pippa and Eddie and Gyp.

Jaran Knive with Eddie

After all the competing (and eating of sheep) is finished, there's an Olympic-style medals ceremony. The sheep are set loose to wander the field, and bagpipers surround the podium while the winning handlers and dogs have medals placed around their necks. Dogs do not care for medals. (I think they'd prefer a nice lamb sausage dinner as their prize. With a little mint jelly on the side. I didn't have mint jelly with my sausage. I had EXCELLENT corn on the cob, which I nibbled while sitting on the edge of my seat thinking, "Oooh, you wicked sheep. You get in that pen. And be nice to Pippa!") Then we stand for the national anthem of the winning dog (seriously).

Bagpipe Band at the Closing Ceremonies

Mmmm, thinking about sheepdogs (and sausages) makes me feel like swooning with joy. Vive la sheepdog.

More sheepdog pictures are here.

3 comments:

JAMES said...

was it merguez? the sausage I mean. Merguez...or however you spell it...is super yummy. I ate some in france for my b-day at a moroccan restaurant. Its also available at this place in NYC. My friend and I go there and get "lamb-dogs."

Amy said...

I cannot get on board with sheepdogs. They still arf around unpredictably and want to lick you.

MBC said...

Holy cow, Amy! The same thing could be said of my nieces. We had to spend a lot of time with Madame 4-yr-old explaining that not everyone likes "mouth water" on them. You have to love sheepdogs! Have. To.

James-I think the sausage was some kind of locally made lamb-dog. I really like the word lamb-dog. And I want to spend my next six b-days at Moroccan restaurants in foreign countries.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...