05 September 2007

When Babies Go Bad

Yesterday my sister, her kids, and I went to IKEA. We had lunch there first, and I had the meatballs, because that's a nice, normal thing to eat and I consider it part of the IKEA experience (embracing the Swedish culture through little meaty balls of joy and hearty consumerism). My sister, though, decided to have a giant plate of crawfish (or crayfish,if you want to call them that) in all their bright red, nasty antennae, creepy little weird leg things, clawed glory.

We all situated ourselves at the table, and my sister went off to get drinks. I was sitting there peacefully with Baby Tuey, my 11-month-old nephew, while the girls ate their macaroni and cheese. I looked away for a moment, and when I looked back, Tuey was waving a crawfish in my face. I yelped a little bit because I consider crawfish (and lobsters) just giant water bugs, and it was surprising for me to see the nicest baby I know brandishing a nasty, dead creature at me. Crawfish sick me out.

Tuey loved them, though. He cried for them until my sister broke off a claw for him and let him wave it around. I think they give him knives and fire to play with at home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNEW I was going to be vilified today. I KNEW it. Tooey (new spelling) IS the nicest baby ever, he's just curious about the world around him, including the creatures of the deep. He was trying to share his enthusiasm for the natural world, and some LIBRARIAN yelps at him. p.s. he's very careful with knives

MBC said...

Choice and accountability, love. You pick up one end of the crawfish and you pick up the other end too . . . or something. Did you see Emily's comment about the hot dogs at IKEA? Maybe you should try that next time. I wouldn't mind if anyone waved a hot dog at me.

Alice said...

I now know what you are getting for you next birthday. A whole shipment of crawfish! So delectable!

Annie M. said...

I love IKEA although I, too, am skeptical about crawfish. Something about eating crawfish at IKEA just ain't right (said in VT accent!.

Anonymous said...

My kids and I had lunch at IKEA once. I will never repeat that horror. They ordered spaghetti (Swedes do spaghetti, right?), and I swear the "marinara" sauce was ketchup. Even they couldn't choke it down, and my children have extremely low standards when it comes to noodles.

Amy

MBC said...

Amy--Try the macaroni and cheese next time. My nieces live on sunshine and happy thoughts, but one of them ate her entire place of IKEA mac and cheese.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...