03 October 2007

I recommend ICELANDIC-STYLE PIZZA

A few weeks ago I went to lunch with a friend and her little boys. We ate at a pizza place I was briefly addicted to, where, this particular time, they put pepperoni on my vegetarian pizza. Seems like a hard mistake to make. Most people understand that vegetarian = pig free. It was all fine, because it just meant that I got two pieces of pizza--one vegetarian and one vegetarian plus (plus pig). It made me think, though, about Pizzas I Have Known and Loved.

In two or three of my college apartments we made pizza every week for months at a time. We threw on whatever we had in the refrigerator for toppings. Lunch meat? Okay. Meatballs leftover from our spaghetti dinner? You bet. French fries and squash (not kidding)? Bring it on! I've since become more discriminating. When I was in Iceland a couple of years ago, though, I had an oddish, but very good pizza experience that reminded me of my college pizzas.

Heimaey, one of the Westman Islands off the South coast of Iceland
I think Kirsten took this picture.

My friends and I stopped in a pizza place in a small town and had a four cheese (provolone, mozzarella, brie, and romano) pizza, which was lovely. But THEN, our server, angel girl that she was, told us that we needed to eat it with jelly on top, which SOUNDS repulsive but is divine. Makes sense--brie + fruit = mmm. I haven't tried to replicate it at home, but I think this month I will.

My sister makes a really nice pizza with chicken apple sausage, and she made one with homemade pesto, tomatoes, and good mozzarella for Tuey's birthday that I couldn't stop eating.

What are your favorite pizzas?

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

For a regular pizza my favorite is: mushrooms, olives, onions, and pepperoni.

I look forward to eating pizza at your house this week.

Annie M. said...

Oh MBC, I am laughing reminiscing about our "trash" pizza days. What were we thinking? I guess we were just poor, hungry, college girls. I have to say these days I am quite the fan of vegetarian pizza. The meats just make my stomach ache I think from all of the grease, which is a conundrum when I order pizza with my husband since he is all about the meat and isn't a vegetable lover at all.

Amy said...

Remember the pine nuts Lisa would put on? And I think we put about 1/4 c cheese on the whole thing to cut down on grease.

Now I either get cheese pizza (Grace and Ethan's request), cheese-less pizza (an abomination Max has to live with but apparently loves), or Meat Galore (no, not from Jaren, from all of the YM who leave greasy Pizza Hut leftovers in my fridge). Eeeeww.

I'd forgotten there were adult options for pizza.

This post made me laugh. And I, too, would like to eat pizza at your house this week!

Alice said...

Nicoitalia. The end. Favorite Pizza right there. Any pizza off their menu is good. I do like their sausage but BBQ deepdish is the norm. You already knew that though, I think. I think I need to eat that again soon!

Kirsten said...

My picture is famous. Oh the memories of those fun days in Iceland.

I love cheese and fresh tomato. There is something about putting fresh tomato on a pizza loaded with tons of cheese that makes me feel like I am being healthy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...