30 January 2008

I Like Poetry

I like poetry. My mom read us Dorothy Parker and The Highwayman and Gerard Manley Hopkins, when I was growing up. In college I took a poetry class and learned to love Robert Hass and Billy Collins and my very favorite, Saint Judas by James Wright. And then I discovered the Favorite Poem Project, Robert Pinsky's project with the Library of Congress. There are three Favorite Poem Project books, and the best one is the second, Poems to Read. The Favorite Poem Project invites readers to submit their favorite poems and the reasons why they love the poems, which is what makes the books so fantastic--there are reader comments on almost every poem and they're SO interesting. The comments provide an extra layer of meaning to each poem.

This is one of my newest poetry finds. Enjoy!

Why I Am in Love with Librarians

by Julia Alvarez -- Library Journal, 1/15/2003

I love how they know things
only to pass them on,
how they fade into the faux-wood-paneled
walls of the reference room,
their faces hidden between the covers of books,

how they look up only to help you:
What is the capital of Afghanistan?
How do the Maori bury their dead?
Who invented Barbie? How many were murdered in Guatemala in '84?

—every query worthy of their attention,
any questioner taken seriously,
curiosity the only requirement.
I love how they listen, their lined faces opening,
their eyes already elsewhere:

scanning a plain for the lights of a distant city,
hunting for bodies in the highlands,
searching the web for Barbie—
their minds like those flocks of little birds in winter
swooping over a landscape, looking, looking.

And always when they get back to you,
that sweet smile on their faces,
pride and deep affection for what can be known,
as if Barbie's invention
or the tally of the massacred

could save you, could save the world!
And who knows if Stalin or Hitler
had spent their youth in the library,
history might be rewritten,
re-catalogued by librarians?

Curiosity sends us out
to a world both larger and smaller
than what we know and believe in
with a passion for finding an answer
or at least understanding our questions.

That road is paved with librarians,
bushwhackers, scouts with string
through the labyrinths of information,
helpers who disappear the moment
you reach your destination.

for Joy Pile

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful half hour conversation once with Julia Alvarez. She's a very gracious lady. Ask me anytime ... I'll tell you all about it. Unfortunately, this month I just barely missed the chance to have a similar visit with Billy Collins, who apparently will be on campus this month. These are probably two names to add to your party list. By the way, the Jeckell and Hyde in you comes out just a tiny bit, don't you think, when I compare the premises of this blog post and the one just before it. But I'm exactly like that. Sometimes serving the public is glorious. And on the next day ... well, less glorious. --Marmot Dad P.S. Don't quit blogging ... superduper fun stuff to read. And now, marmot-mom is requesting the computer back.

Alice said...

I think you should carry this poem around in your pocket while you work. Then when the crazies get crazier, you can just pull it out, breathe, read it, and then be reminded to smile! Keep up the good work, and enjoy the boiler break! :)

Snow Whiteley said...

Thanks for the poem. We're doing Poetry Out Loud at my school right now, so I'm a bit obsessed.

Marmot Dad--I am SO jealous taht you got to talk to Julia Alvarez. Her work is amazing.

Anonymous said...

The poem made me happy, thanks. Billy Collins is my best discovery of 2000, what took me so long?

Chou said...

Hey, I thought you'd enjoy this:

Last night around 11:30 (waaaay past our bedtime).

Me: "So there's this new vegetarian blog I found. . . "

Ben looks at it: "Yuck, it's like reading a recipe."

Me, desperate to have something in common with husband before I fall asleep: "Have you read Slanted recently? MBC has a great new post." Some existentialist ravings about how reading your blog makes it seem like we talk even though you never return my phone calls (hint hint).

Ben: type type, read, read . . . Laugh laugh, read read, laugh laugh.

:)

As Dad said--don't stop!

MBC said...

Marmot Dad--I'm jealous that you got to meet Julia Alvarez, too. If more people were writing lovely poems in praise of librarians, I would probably have less of a love/hate relationship with the public. On the one hand, I'm very idealistic about libraries and public service. On the other hand, I want to use my stapler as a weapon when I'm dealing with stolen materials and graffiti and the belligerent hordes of cell phone users and little punk teenage boys who will only accept headphones in the color of their gang. Wooo, breathe. Breathe. It's probably like having children. One day they're saying sweet, funny things and the next their cutting off their hair.

Chou--Yay! You made my day. And, yeah, I'm not so good with the phone.

Annie M. said...

I agree, you can NEVER quit blogging. 2 of my friends from church recently told me on 2 separate occasions how much they love reading your blog and how hilarious you are. My friend Megan even told me that if she's having a bad day she can go read your blog and it makes her laugh and cheers her up! :) Yay for MBC!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...