18 February 2008

Paper Princesses

Saturday I was making paper dolls with my nieces. It's nice to do crafts with a 3-yr-old and a 5-yr-old, because they don't care if I make their dolls' legs different sizes (Madame 3-yr-old's doll looked like she may have been suffering from elephantiasis) or accidentally give the dolls 6 fingers or run out of room for hands altogether (Madame 5-yr-old's doll had only one hand and no shoulders).

I made some beautiful clothing out of construction paper for the dolls--coveralls for their gardening and car repair chores and bathing suits for their trips to the beach and sun hats for those sunny sheep dog championships--but what the marmots really wanted was for their dolls to be princesses. It was decreed that the dresses I constructed were too short; the skirts should reach the dolls' feet. And they needed crowns. As I was cutting out spiky, golden crowns, Madame 5-yr-old mused aloud (for her doll), "I wonder who the prince will want to dance with at the ball. Me or Madame 3."

MBC (looking out for Madame 3's best interest): Maybe there will be TWO princes.
Madame 5: I wonder who the HANDSOMEST prince will want to dance with.
MBC: Maybe there will be TWIN princes.
Madame 5: I wonder who the HANDSOMEST twin prince will want to dance with.
MBC: Maybe there will be IDENTICAL twin princes.
Madame 5: I think the handsomest prince will want to dance with me.

Not likely, actually. One-handed girls with no shoulders, no necks, and shoes permanently attached to their feet (I didn't feel like drawing toes; it's hard) rarely get the prince.

The marmots LOVE princes and princesses. Disney princesses, which is a little disturbing. A while back, Madame 5-yr-old was intently watching a Disney movie, taking mental notes. She was particularly interested in the kiss at the end. She watched. She furrowed her brow. She watched. She studied. She grabbed Madame 3-yr-old by the face, pulled her close, and gave her a big, Disney smooch.

Glad it wasn't me. And I pity the prince who will have to dance with either of those poor paper dolls.

5 comments:

Alice said...

I knew I missed the best part of the paper doll adventures. You do so well with those girls. What a wonderful Aunt you are! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello from Toronto,

I am glad you are into crafts with your nieces...it would be great to see what you made!

Warm regards,

Gabriela

SCS said...

Let me just Tell All. Our very own MBC used to be the Queen of the Disney Smooch practice, trying (horror or horrors) to practice on me whenever she could. It would have been cute if it hadn't been so annoying (one had to turn one's head just so and then get a little slimed). So our little 5-yr-old should, by rights, be practicing on you.

MBC said...

I didn't want out noses to touch, and I don't think they were Disney kisses. There's no kissing in the Fox and the Hound.

Chou said...

Have you read them the Paperbag Princess yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...