15 October 2008

A Hard Knock Day

Oh, it was a trying day.

We had a teen event today and the food was all being donated from local pizza places. Except that when I called to confirm with the restaurant managers this morning (and I HATE using the phone and I HATE negotiating donations), one of the restaurants backed out. The person who had promised the pizza (last week) no longer works there and the restaurant refused to honor the promise. I was so indignant. They PROMISED. We were counting on their donation. And it was only one pizza. They couldn't manage one pizza that they'd already agreed to donate? Very poor customer relations. They were one of my favorite pizza places in town. They're independent, so you'd think they'd be a friend to the people (and the library. and the poor starving teens at our programs). And I just told my sister a few days ago that she should try their deep dish bbq chicken pizza, but now she should NOT, because we are boycotting them for at least 6 months, which is how long it will take me to stop being angry at them. Unless they also refuse to donate to the Summer Reading Program and then, of course, we can never eat there again. And we might have to fire-bomb their establishment.

THEN I received an email from the literacy coordinator at a local high school asking me if I wanted her to meet me at the entrance of school before I addressed the 95 faculty members at 1:15 tomorrow. Except I didn't know I was speaking at that school tomorrow. The literacy coordinator accidentally gave me the wrong date for my presentation, so while I was planning for the 22nd, she was planning for the 15th. Oops.

And then there were library patrons at every place I had to run errands, which requires so much eye averting and slinking undetected through aisles.

And so on.

Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow.

4 comments:

Moo said...

That does sound like a bad day. I, too, try to avoid phone usage. I hope that Alice can handle your boycott.

I wish you a much better day today!

MBC said...

Thanks! The work day is done today and there's apple cake in progress, so the day's looking up.

Amy said...

So do you have to give the presentation today or next week?

I hope you have a better day.

MBC said...

Yes, I had to present yesterday. Boooo! Oh, well, now I'm prepared for the next school visit on the 27th.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...