08 June 2010

I've Been to London to See the Queen

We took the sleeper train to London over the weekend.
Kirsten and I took an overnight train from Milan to Paris last year and it was no good. We had to share a couchette with a man who snored like a wild beast and our "beds" were just the daytime train seats with the arm rests pushed up. The London sleeper is wonderful, though.


We visited the Brixton market, which is mostly full of Afro-Caribbean foods and whole, plucked chickens hanging over butcher shop counters. Check out that cool, curved architecture.


And we visited the Tate Modern. We ate lunch on the balcony and enjoyed this lovely view of St. Paul's and the Millennium Bridge.


And we saw an interesting exhibit about WWII rationing in the UK at the Imperial War Museum. I love the advertising examples from that era, especially Dr. Carrot and Potato Pete. Potato Pete has his own song.


We attended evensong at Westminster Abbey and there were Morris dancers out front. Please note the accordian players on the left.


We ate my birthday dinner at a Thai festival in Trafalgar Square on the actual day of my birthday. The following day, Steve's friend made us dinner and we had birthday cake (in ADDITION to the fab strawberry/cream/mascarpone/pastry dessert she made).

Oh, and we went to the theater. My favorite thing.

6 comments:

EP said...

Sounds wonderful! Happy Birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

A visit to London, you say? Okay, make good on your blog title now and "tell it slant"! -- Marmot Dad

MBC said...

Emily--Thanks!

Marmot Dad--Are you saying this is a boring post?

eliana23 said...

What a great birthday! I'm glad Steve is worthy of MBC.

Breanne said...

I love the imperial war museum, I've gone there each time I've been to London. I also love that you get off at Elephant and Castle to get there. Elephant and Castle, seriously? I spend a lot of time imagining just how they came up with THAT name.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the ambiguity ... no, I'm just saying that the whole post is too good to be true and some of us are green with envy. So try to tell it in a boring way to help me ratchet down my incredible envy! "I went to London ... took absolutely no pictures ... yawned ..." etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...