02 June 2010

What are You Reading?

I currently have 8 books by my bedside:

Solar by Ian McEwan
This just won a comic fiction award. Steve's PhD advisor sent him home with it. I'm not in the mood for it, but Ian McEwan's highly regarded in literary circles, and I hope that I'll find it to be Just The Thing soon.

Allotment Month by Month by Alan Buckingham
DK publishes this gardening guide, so it's no surprise that it contains beautiful photographs. I love it because it very clearly explains how to plant each fruit and vegetable we have in our allotment. I've renewed it from the library about 50,000 times.

The Ant Colony
by Jenny Valentine
I found this YA fiction on a display at our library. Our library system owns multiple copies, so I assume it's well-reviewed. I haven't cracked it open yet, but it looks promising.

Toast: the Story of a Boy's Hunger
by Nigel Slater
I carry this book around with me and read it whenever I have a few minutes on the bus or while I'm waiting around for Steve. It's a lovely collection of short food memoirs from the author's British childhood. My only complaint is that each little story ends too quickly. I picked it up because it had a sticker on the front advertising that it had been read aloud on Radio 4 (an NPRish station).

The Carbon Diaries 2015
by Saci Lloyd
Along the lines of Uglies and Life as We Knew It, The Carbon Diaries presents a future world forced to ration carbon resources. Just started it.

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult
I love several of Jodi Picoult's novels, but I've left many of her books unread because the book descriptions often sound unappealing. This is one that doesn't seem like it should be my type of book, but I'm willing to try it because I enjoy the author's writing style so much. I started it yesterday and it gave me nightmares, but I'm still going to go upstairs and read some more in a few minutes.

Wills and Probate
I checked this out of the library after Steve and I talked about how we should have a will and then we both proceeded to completely ignore the book.

London
This is from Lonely Planet, which is good enough, but I really miss Rick Steves travel guides.


What are you reading?

10 comments:

Katya said...

Currently reading: The Panda's Thumb / Stephen Jay Gould

About to start reading: The Hero of Ages / Brandon Sanderson

Just finished: Princess of the Midnight Ball / Jessica Day George, Naughts & Crosses / Malorie Blackman, Thinking with Type / Ellen Lupton, I Am Not a Serial Killer / Dan Wells

eliana23 said...

SOLAR will never be the right book. Trust me. I heard about a book called FOOD JOBS on NPR yesterday and it seemed very you. Look into it. I am reading nothing great right now. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading The Kite Runner. However I am doing it sneakily since I have gotten in trouble a few times in the past week for reading and ignoring other things in the house, such as the kids :) Cali helps me to remember what's important.

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to add that I love it when I am goodreads.com and see that you have already read pretty much every book that I am interested in so I always get an honest opinion before I start! I love having a librarian for a sister!

ldsjaneite said...

Techinically, I'm currently reading about 40 books. But if I go by the print copies by my bedside, that would be "The Grand Tour" by Patricia Wrede and "Heist Society" by Ally Carter. In audio, I'm reading "Redwall" by Brian Jacques and "Princess Diaries" by Meg Cabot. Almost halfway done with my YA book challenge.

The Toast book sounds interesting.

Courtney said...

I LOVED Atonement by McEwan but then didn't care for another one of his (really well written--can't remember the title--but unpleasant subject) so I am interested in what you think of Solar.

I'm reading:

The Man with the Miraculous Hands by Joseph Kessel (It is a Holocaust story).

Crossing to Saftey by Wallace Stegnar (but I just can't get into it).

And the 2011 Beehive Award nominees (because I'm helping out with the Teen Read at my library):

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Brooklyn Nine by Alan Gratz
The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
The Devil's Paintbox by Victoria McDernan
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap
My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Project Sweet Life by Brent Hartinger

MBC said...

Katya--I liked Princess of the Midnight Ball. I think I took home Naughts and Crosses and wanted to like it but never got very far. I'm very often just not in the mood for something, though.

Eliana--I will look for Food Jobs. My big problem here is that it's hard to get US books unless they've been out a long time. Boo.

Meg--LOVE the Kite Runner.

LDSJaneite--So jealous that you have Heist Society. Desperately want to read it but it's not in our library system.

Yankee Girl--I should try to get my hands on the Beehive nominees that I haven't read yet. Love Along for the Ride and Chains.

Katya said...

Naughts & Crosses is good but it's brutal. I can definitely see not being in the mood for it.

joanna said...

I just finished reading
'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter' by Seth Grahame-Smith, who also wrote 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'. It's very good. I want to read P&P too, but it's not so easy to find good books in english over here! I got this one from my sister who recommended it.
You are lucky to live in Scotland where they speak english, well scottish english:-)
I love Rick Steves travel guides too! He got us through italy, germany and austria in one piece:-)

Chou said...

Um, comps coming up. I'm reading more than I ever wanted to. I think my favorite is this wonderful little book called Selling Tradition about Appalachian handicrafts. We won't talk about some of the other ones.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...