07 December 2011

Naming the Bairn

Steve and I have a working list of baby names we agree on.  Kind of.  None of my favorite names made the list and none of his favorite names made the list and there's some disagreement about possible nicknames for the approved names.  I think a working list of 10 names is fine, but Steve still pitches suggestions every morning and every night and he feels strongly that we can't settle on a final name until we actually see the baby and determine which name looks like him.  The problem with that approach, of course, is that babies look like root vegetables when they're born and I don't want to name the baby Celeriac anymore than I want to name him Donald.

6 comments:

CSIowa said...

My father served a mission in Scotland. He wanted to name a son Hamish (not bad) or a daughter some name I can't remember. I think it started with M. He didn't stand a chance! My sisters and I are thankful.

We named our first daughter months in advance and it suits her perfectly. I was panicked about not having a decision for our second child before birth, but we had a short list of three names. The winner did indeed become apparent when he was born. Thank goodness, since I refused to let his sister meet him until I could inform her of his name. She had been speaking into my belly button for months, as if it was a microphone. "Your name is Zachary! Your name is Zachary!" A fine name, but not the one for him. Anyway, there's more than one way to do these things.

MBC said...

People here keep asking if we're giving the baby a Scottish name, but they all think Hamish is a bit TOO Scottish for us.

Lunicrax said...

haha... well, you could always veto most things, considering the work you do... A friend of mine has a very dissimilar taste in names compared to her husband. Their last son was nameless for a few weeks, during which they tested several names on him, one per a few days, to see how it fit. In the end (as always) one of my friend's options won... And her husband doesn't seem to mind much after the fact. After all, she did do all the hard work... :)

Anonymous said...

Heads-up: If you settle on either Lucy or Tuna, the child will eventually be called Tooie. Just sayin'. (MarmDad)

Anonymous said...

(continuing with MarmDad's thought) Or as in the case of my family Tom.

KWB

What ever name you pick will be just fine as long as it is Kenneth or William as in William Kenneth or Kenneth William. :)

Lady Susan said...

At least Steve is volunteering names. Mr. F. would just shoot my suggestions down without providing any of his own.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...