24 November 2007

How to Have a Happy Thanksgiving Break

1. Fly to Atlanta. Eat fried grits for dinner. Eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Feel your arteries clog.

2. Drive to Hilton Head Island. Marvel at the Spanish moss. (Spanish moss is actually uniquely American. It's related to the pineapple. Recognize that you're a giant nerd for pointing this out to everyone.)

3. Walk on the beach for twelve hundred hours with your mama.

4. Drive to Charleston. Marvel at the earthquake bolts in the buildings. (Marveling is required on all trips everywhere.) Eat amazing grilled tuna over grits made with all the cream and butter in the world at 82 Queen. Feel like a gracious Southern belle. Drag your parents to every cemetery possible.

5. Take the ferry to Daufuskie Island. Daufuskie Island is best known for the Gullah population, ancestors of freed slaves from Angola. (Pat Conroy, author of The Prince of Tides, made Daufuskie Island famous with his book, The Water is Wide. Gullah culture is also the focus of Julie Dash's very interesting novel, Daughters of the Dust.)

6. Do not fix your hair one single day of your trip.

If I were not an idiot, I would have brought my camera cord with me so I could post pictures to the blog from Hilton Head. I'll post them Monday when I get back. Now I have to dash off for some crab cakes.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...