14 December 2007

Christmas Favorites

These are some of my favorite Christmas books and movies.

An obvious choice. A classic.


Except for the fact that this is set at Christmas, it's not really Christmasy. I love it, though. Dennis Morgan is a special Christmas treat.

I made my sister and Marmot Dad watch this the year it came out on DVD. They were not nearly as impressed as they should have been. It's a true thing that the ending gets all schwarmy and gaggingly heartfelt, but Will Ferrell makes an amazingly good elf. Sometimes when we're closing the library at night, I like to sing on my walkie-talkie, "I'm in the library and I'm siiiinging!"

This book was first published about 25 years ago. Amy Dacyczyn recommends it in The Tightwad Gazette, a book I love. I think it's a really practical approach to celebrating Christmas and not at all reminiscent of some of the simplify-your-life, pay-me-lots-of-money-to-tell-you-how-to-live-your-life books that make me crave a sharp instrument to slam in the author's ear. Not at all.


Other favorites?

2 comments:

Annie M. said...

Oh, MBC, how could you forget "While You Were Sleeping?" Remember when we watched it like 50 times during finals week our freshman year? :) "He's in a coma!" "On Christmas DAY!!!???"

MBC said...

"Mary mashed 'em." I could never forget. This is a very abbreviated list. I actually have that one checked out from the library at my house RIGHT NOW. Jack's pants look more unfortunate every year, but I continue to feel the special joy of Christmas when I watch that movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...