05 December 2007

Christmas is Coming

Yesterday Madame 3-yr-old was overcome with Christmas joy. My sister, Madame, Tuey, and I were in a bookstore decorated with Christmas trees and nutcrackers and gifts. Madame pulled me from tree to tree, telling me in an excited voice, "Aunt, I think those are REAL presents under the tree. I touched one and it FELT like a REAL present." She was especially impressed by the huge nutcrackers and she asked me why nutcrackers were Christmasy. I explained that sometimes people receive nuts in their stockings at Christmas, so they need a nutcracker to open them. Madame patiently explained to ME that actually, almonds come without shells and peanuts DO come in shells but she and her sister can smash the easy ones open (So true. They are wild beasts, smashing peanuts open and then chucking the shells on the floor. Looking at it one day, Marmot Dad, who LOVES a clean kitchen floor and used to fold his trash, told me his cleaning system. Step One: Weep. Step Two: Clean.), and Daddy can open the peanuts with hard shells. Subtext: Aunt, your explanation is hooey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

as time goes on, I'm folding in a third step, i.e. (3) Pray fervently for divine intervention --Marmot Dad

Amy said...

I seem to remember your telling me back in college that your sister folded her trash. Did one of them influence the other, or is this just a sign that they are Meant to Be?

MBC said...

They are just Meant to Be. My Dad says that my sister could only have happily married about two people in the world, so she's lucky to have found one of those two.

SCS said...

Just for the record: I AM NOT A KOOK. MBC's sister

p.s. if I am, my kids have made me so

MBC said...

It's true. She's not a kook. And she's not fanatically clean anymore, either. In fact, as we were leaving the store, she told me that it's a good thing her kids are so naturally cute because there's less need to dress them immaculately or wash them a lot.

JAMES said...

your all kooks...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...