21 December 2007

Merry Christmas to Restauranteurs

Yesterday my friend Kirsten came to visit. We went to eat at a tiny, hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant that I like because the people are so nice and because I believe in supporting local, independent businesses. Even local businesses housed in tacky strip malls next to a dollar store where they serve you with plastic utensils.

After we ate, Kirsten told me, “Those are nice little Indian people trying to make it in America. I’m leaving them a big tip. They're getting a ten dollar tip.” Considering that the combined cost of our meals (with extra naan) was $13.05, ten dollars was very generous.

Me: Wow. That’s a big tip.

Kirsten: Yeah, well, that’s the American. Dream.

That's right. And we support the American Dream.

4 comments:

Nemesis said...

This reminds me that I haven't supported my local Indian American Dream in at least 6 weeks. Must remedy that.

MBC said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say at the bottom of my post that that was my point: go support the American Dream over the holidays instead of supporting, like, Denny's or Ruby Tuesday. I think those restaurants might be the Albanian Dream.

Anonymous said...

Now I want to eat some fresh naan, thanks a lot (especially since we are in a dust storm and trapped inside). I am happy to see your blog. It makes me laugh and think of you.
Merry Christmas!

MBC said...

Hi Eliana! Merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...