16 December 2007

My Life is Awkward

Our Christmas dinner/talent show at church was this weekend.  The Boy Who Does Amuse was the MC.  I was sitting at the table farthest from the stage (closest to the food).  The Boy was telling stories and jokes between each act.  At one point, he started to tell a knock-knock joke. 

The Boy: Wait, this is a better joke with just one person.  MBC, knock-knock.

Me: Who's there?

The Boy: Will you go on a date with me?

Me (frantically thinking up a witty comeback appropriate to say out loud in front of 50 people): Silent staring

Guy Sitting Near Me (prompting in a loud whisper): Will you go on a date with me who?

Me: Will you go on a date with me who?

The Boy:  No, really.  Will you?

Chick lit is wildly popular because all of the awkward parts are true.  The parts where the man pursuing me turns out to be a closet millionaire never come to pass.  The awkward parts I've got down, though.

11 comments:

Amy said...

And leaving the reader hanging is oh-so-effective in chick (and other) lit, but real people want to know what happened next! Did you say yes? Did you wither him with a stare?

JAMES said...

this sort of thing should be expunged from your blog...its not like I'm any less awkward than you (think about, really), but good-gravy that is an aw-aw-awkward situation

Alice said...

...and they lived happily every after. Isn't that how most chick lit ends? hehe! :)

Ann-Marie said...

boy howdy! i also have an awkward asking out story for you. i'll tell you today at work!

Chou said...

Oh, you made my day. As Amy said, so did you say yes? Did you? Did you?

Annie M. said...

Oh my, that takes some courage- asking you out in front of 1/2 your ward. I am with Amy and Christy- did you say YES??? Or did you just turn red and stare??

MBC said...

In the moment I told him to talk to me afterwards. When we were alone, I said yes. He very nicely told me we didn't have to go, if I didn't want to, but we are going to dinner this week.

Kirsten said...

Just remember it could have been even more awkward:

"knock knock"

"who's there"

"will you marry me...?"

yes, I am pretty sure it could have been. Thanks for making me laugh!

Nemesis said...

Yay for going to dinner! Also, the guy does have moxie to ask you out like that . . .

Rebekah said...

two words: follow through

L Street between 18th and 19th: Church's English Shoes.

Ana said...

I worked as a Merchandiser the Summer after I finished my degree and pre-mish - I was selling knife sets and stopped in at a computer store. This one sales guy stoops down to supposedly check out my "cool" shoes while I relayed my sales spiel. He then interrupts my spiel with:
CG*: So do you have a boyfriend?
Me: I dunno - are you gonna buy some knives?
CG: What's your phone number? (writing out a cheque) It's alright. You don't have to give it to me. I'll still buy the knives.
(In my head)*YEAH RIGHT* - I scribble out a number and give it to him - set of knives SOLD!!!

The number was for The Ministry of Pacific Island Affairs.

*CG = CREEEEEEEEPY Guy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...