11 January 2008

Librarians Get No Respect

Rejoice with me, friends. Friday is usually my long day on the reference desk, but today I'm on an interview panel. Judging people is much easier than helping them use the library. Having just completed the first half of the interviews, let me tell you my personal library interview pet peeve. When candidates aren't familiar with these things about librarians (the position for which they are applying), it causes a sharp pain in my head, suggesting that I'm about to burst some blood vessels. As soon as someone mentions shelving books, I mark his/her score right down. Librarians do NOT* shelve books!

I was going to post about Stratford today, but I didn't take any pictures in Stratford. (There were lots of places where I didn't take pictures.) The staff member from the Utah Shakespearean Festival who accompanied us on the trip took some, though, and he's sending them to me, so I'll post them when I get them and give you the London wrap up. And then I promise never to speak of it again. Maybe.

*except in very small libraries where the staff is usually paraprofessional


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to a friend's new roommate and just remarked "I know things" to which the friend remarked "She knows lots of things. She's a librarian." It made my day that some people aren't so ignorant about what I do for a living.

My librarian pet peeve are paraprofessionals who call themselves librarians.I spent a heck of a lot of money and time for my degree so at least let me have the glory of the title. I'm a snob like that.

Amy said...

"Judging people is much easier than helping them" in SO many ways. Also it's more fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...