10 January 2008

London, Part 5 (I promise it will end after tomorrow)

I'm having blog writer's block today, even though there are still a million things I could post about London. I promise to end the London talk soon. I think we're going to do a Q&A today.

MBC, How did you become the hero of the George Bush Intercontinental Airport?
I talked to a customs officer and made him take 15 of us to the front of the line so we wouldn't miss the connecting flight that was scheduled to take off 45 minutes after we deplaned. It doesn't sound exciting, but someone did refer to me as a hero, so I'm going to put it on my resume when I apply to be a superhero.

What was your favorite treasure in the V&A?
As I suspected, Tippoo's Tiger is, by far, the most fantastic relic of the British Empire. I really, really want one.

How do you feel about that yogurt from Tesco?
One day, I was drinking my yogurt (I didn't have a spoon) when I got off the elevator and was so transported by my delightful, culinary treat that I got myself completely turned around and discovered areas of the hotel I'd never seen before. My yogurt was so good that I thought, "Why aren't we all demanding this in the U.S.?" Then I looked at the ingredient list, saw that the second ingredient was heavy whipping cream, and all was clear.

Why didn't you take any pictures at the Globe Theatre?
I don't want to talk about it.

How often did you almost get run over by cars when you were crossing streets?
Logically, I KNOW the cars will be coming from a different direction than I'm used to, but I just couldn't ever remember which way I should be checking for traffic. I almost got run over A LOT.

What was the best thing you did while in London?
I'm so in love with Evensong at Westminster Abbey. We got to sing Christmas carols, and I was sitting by this darling English teenager who chatted with me (very quietly and respectfully, of course) about London.

Did you bring back digestive biscuits because they are the best treat in the whole world?
Absolutely, I did.

How effective is blow drying wet blue jeans while you're wearing them?
Well, if you have to wash your jeans and they don't dry during the night and they're still damp when you put them on in the morning, you CAN blow dry them while you wear them. It's not the best system, but it works okay.

If you have any other questions about the trip, leave a comment.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

So I really wouldn't mind if you continued talking about London for a long, long time. Also mmmm British yogurt and digestives.

Questions:

Did you have any problems minding the gap?

Do you continue (upon return to the US) to have difficulties figuring out which way traffic is coming from? (I do. I am hopelessly confused--though I live in the UK for 1 1/2 years)

And, why is it that you didn't bring back any British boyfriends for those of us that were stuck not being in London?

Chou said...

Yum, I also think digestives are marvelous. I have some amusing memories of being pulled out of the path of a very large on-coming bus last time I was in London. No wonder the "LOOK" sign has arrows.

MBC said...

Yankee Girl--I'm VERY good at minding the gap.

My US traffic skills remain intact.

Sad to say, I didn't even manage to find myself a British boyfriend. If I had, I would have used him to build a US-UK dating alliance.

Chou--Even with the arrows, I always looked in the direction of the arrow and then in the opposite direction.

Anonymous said...

Did you get any bath bombs from Lush? I know there are several Lush locations in the U.S., but buying anything in a foreign land seems far more glamorous.

Amy said...

I want to know why you don't want to talk about it.

MBC said...

Emily--Absolutely, I did. In Windsor there was a Lush and a Thornton's right next to each other. My two favorite things. I used one of my bath bombs while I was in London because we had the best-designed bathtubs in the universe.

Amy--I SAID . . .

I'll think about telling you later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...