14 March 2008

Conferencing

This weekend I'm attending this conference in Salt Lake. Tonight was a reception followed by the keynote speaker, a senior editor for Mad Magazine who was talking about censorship and First Amendment rights. Despite the fact that the speaker was very dynamic, I was having some concentration issues due to the following:

1. There were male librarians in the room. I very rarely encounter male librarians. We have two in my entire library. They're an oddity to me, like three-toed sloths.

2. My seat was this high-tech, shiny metallic chair with a back that flexed backward if I leaned into it. It was also surprisingly slippery, so I was leaning and sliding and trying not to look like I was leaning and sliding.

3. The reception had really excellent food, including whole roasted garlic cloves and several kinds of bar cookies that I would have horded away for future eating pleasure, but it's a relatively small conference and I didn't want to be known as the girl who stuffs desserts into her bra (I didn't have pockets).

I fully intend to be a better conference attendee tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the library in the town where I grew up there was one male librarian. I very much liked going to the library when he was there because he knew EVERYTHING. I wonder if he ever felt like an oddity?

MBC said...

I'll bet he did. Men are seriously outnumbered in public libraries.

Sean said...

They did keep us very well fed at the conference. Between sessions I would go back to the snack room to fill up on coffee, and almost every time I ended up sidling over to the buffet for "just one more" tomato-cheese croissant, or chocolate mini-muffin, or cheesecake mini-square. It's going to take me a few days to recover, I guarantee you.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Being the token male in a library would be tough, I think. I'm glad there are lots of guys in the Salt Lake City system.

MBC said...

I had that same food problem. Fortunately, I didn't discover the snack room until late in the day on Friday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...