28 April 2008

D.C., Part 1, The Perfect Day

I was hoping to be mugged so I wouldn't have picture ID to board the plane this morning and I could stay with Rebekah, but, sadly, no one stole my wallet, so I'm back from DC.

This would be me falling off a wall near the Tidal Basin.
Saturday Rebekah and I had the loveliest day. It felt quintessentially MBC from start to finish.

The Eastern Market may be my favorite place in DC. Farmers' markets represent everything that's good and right in the world. I love the sense of community they promote, I love the varied demographics they bring together, and I love the fantastic food they provide. After we ate "blue bucks" (blueberry buckwheat pancakes) and grits at the market for brunch, Rebekah and I wandered through produce stalls and I ate a tomato sample that was so delicious I almost cried and considered burning down my grocery store at home for selling me tomatoes that taste like plastic.

This is me with the homemade pasta case in the South Hall Market. The stripes on the black and white ravioli come from squid ink. (I can't remember how I made myself sunglasses with my photo program last time.)
We ate dinner at Bistro Bis, a French restaurant near Union Square. I ordered a citrus, beet salad and lamb shank Bretonne and Rebekah and I shared haricot verts, macaroni and gruyere, and a strawberry and rhubarb tart. It may have been the most comforting meal I have ever eaten. I felt so nurtured after absolutely luxuriating in a slow dinner that was so carefully prepared. Gracious Living.

This is our strawberry and rhubarb tart. I don't know what the cheese in the tart was, but I would like to eat it every day.

We took a cab to Sidney Harman Hall to see the Shakespeare Theatre Company's first night of "Antony and Cleopatra." I ran into Michael (Sharon) in the lobby. [On a side note, for those of you who are Utah Shakespearean Festival fans, Michael's not performing with the Festival at all this year. He's not part of the fall season cast, which I find so disappointing, and I feel like the absence of one of my favorite Festival actors should be protested somehow. Maybe consider writing to your congressmen about this.] My play-going experience was only slightly marred by the fact that I had about 5 glasses of water with dinner, and at intermission I had to go sprinting across the lobby, knocking elderly women out of my way to reach the restrooms first. After the play, Rebekah and I met up with Michael and then ran to the metro in the pouring rain. I love the metro. And rain. And the theater. And good food. And farmers' markets. And being with friends.

This is me standing (near the lamp post--my black outfit blends a little) outside Sidney Harman Hall.

It was the loveliest day.

8 comments:

JAMES said...

did you go to Ben's Chili Bowl?

MBC said...

No. I hadn't heard of it before, although I just looked it up and saw that it's a famous DC institution and Bill Cosby approved. I ate A LOT of good food though, which is why I'm now off to exercise.

Courtney said...

The food sounds incredible. I love eating good food when I travel--as much as seeing good sights when I travel. I keep hearing about beet salads. I'll have to try one soon.

And yes protests should be held in the street over Michael Sharon not coming to the festival this year!

MBC said...

I had two beet salads while I was in DC, and they were fantastic (and I don't think they'll be hard to replicate). I'm an eating splurger when I travel. I figure I might as well experience as much as I can while I'm traveling.

Annie M. said...

You "met up" with one of your imaginary boyfriends?? Whoa... if you're not careful he might become more than just an imaginary bf. Hmm. I am glad to hear that you had a great trip!

Anonymous said...

You make me want to be in a city. Not that towns in the desert aren't fine sometimes, but...Haricot verts. Yums.

abby said...

Sorry I didn't get around to emailing you to meet up. It sounds like you had a great time. You've been to places I've never been to so I better check them out. I love Jaleo! My other fave is Lebanese Taverna.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's sad news about Michael not performing with the Festival this year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...