23 April 2008

The Random Post

Main Entry: random
Function: adjective
Date: 1632
1 a: lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern

People in Utah* really like the word random. They use it A LOT. I'm not sure why they love the word so much, because an awful lot of them seem unclear on the definition. They use it to mean unexpected or beyond comprehension. That ain't what it means, folks.

A few days ago I had this conversation at work:

Stylo Guy with a Girlfriend I Disliked on Sight (because I'm mean and dislike snuggly patrons): Are there any enclosed spaces other than Special Collections here? [subtext: because we want to go be loud and/or make out away from your prying eyes]

MBC: This is our quiet area, so group work and meetings aren't allowed in this part of the library. You can ask at the other reference desk to reserve a small meeting room or you're welcome to use any of the tables or seating areas in the rest of the library, if you need to talk together.

Stylo Guy: Huh. Random.

Not random! Carefully calculated and well-established policy to keep Stylo Guy and his Amazing Leech Girlfriend from bothering researchers and studiers. Not. Random.

*
Before all the natives fuss at me, I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's not just Utah, but Utah is the only place where I have noticed it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No MB, it is just Utah. There is so much order in the universe that everything unexpected must be RANDOM. I hadn't thought of that word in a while, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I must admit that in the not so distant past I was guilty of using 'random' as a catch-all adjective/expletive. I am happy to report that after completing only 3of the "Word Abusers Anonymous" (WAA) 12 steps, I am well on my way to recovery. Now, if I could just get all my Utah-native relatives to stop incorrectly using (and pronouncing)the word ignorant, life would be great!

Annie M. said...

Yeah that's annoying. You should have slapped him and said, "Now how's THAT for random??"

Amy said...

Wow, this post is so random.

Moo said...

I use the word random a fare amount; however, I try to use it in the right context. Luckily for me, I plan out very little in my life, so usually my actions are indeed random and done on a whim.

Lori said...

It's spreading. Things tend to be random more often than they should here in the south as well.
My pet-peeve misused word: ironic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...