04 May 2008

The Rummage Sale

This weekend was The Rummage Sale. It's an annual fundraiser that people from across the state (and I've heard from different states) attend, because it is so very good. The doors open at 8:00 a.m., and my sister and I arrive early like those brides at Filene's Basement. Skirts cost $0.75, shirts are $1.50, jackets are $3.00, children's clothes sell for $0.50. I bought a jacket, two sweaters, two skirts, three tops, and a whisk for $11.00. It's such a fantastic sale.

My sister and I attend the sale together, but we don't actually shop together. We take our huge bags and spread out, reconvening to critique one another's purchases and to give opinions on whether or not selections should actually be taken home. For example, this year my sister made me put back the brown swing cardigan that she said made me look like I was wearing rags and a gray blouse with ruffles that she mocked (it would have looked fine under a jacket). She had a bright pink, flowered rayon dress in her bag. She pulled it out and showed it to me, saying that she felt that something might not be right with this dress. Too true. What was wrong with it was that it was hideous. I assured her that we could no longer be sisters if she purchased that dress and reminded her that once before when she was pregnant she thought it was a good idea to buy a hot pink, flowered maternity bathing suit that still makes me fall down laughing every time I see it. The pregnant are not always wise.

p.s. Did you all hear This American Life this weekend, in which Ira Glass admitted to his love for The O.C. Validation! (It was actually a rebroadcast episode. I'd heard it before but I didn't fully appreciate it before I became acquainted with Seth, Summer, Ryan, and Marissa.)

4 comments:

Amy said...

I hope you brought home something in hot pink.

Alyssa Rock said...

It's a small, small blogosphere... You and I both wrote about TAL yesterday!

MBC said...

No hot pink for me. I must be an example or there's no hope for the little ones.

I laughed when I saw your post this morning, Alyssa, and had the same thought.

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...