07 October 2008

The Wisdom of Romance Novels


Several of us are currently weeding the romance collection at work. The romance collection is VERY popular. Undoubtedly, people are drawn to the classy cover art and compelling titles, such as these gems from our collection:

Sin and Sensibility
The Accidental Bride
To Wed a Wicked Prince
The Love Pirate

I've discovered the last few weeks (with the help of my co-workers) how very instructive romance novels can be. For example, today My Cute Single Co-Worker and I deduced that the 18th century would have been a trying time to be alive. Apparently, clothes were made very poorly, as they are always sliding off the bodies of the heroines on the covers of the romance novels set in that time period. So sad for them. AND (Kirsten, take note) Scotland is the most romantic country. Women in romance novels are always taming wild Scotsmen in books like these (all actual books in our collection):

Bad Boys in Kilts
Beyond the Highland Mist
Bride of the Mist
Highland Flame
Highlander Unchained
Master of the Highlands

AND sometimes the titles themselves are so instructive. Like these (all written by different authors):

Never Deceive a Duke
Never Trust a Scoundrel
Never Love a Cowboy
Promise Him Anything

Helpful, right? (Except, I'm on board with not deceiving dukes or trusting scoundrels, but no cowboys? Really?)

For an inside look at the romance novel industry, check out this episode of This American Life.

10 comments:

Moo said...

Perhaps the eighteenth century women were just lacking food, thus their clothing was too big. As for the Scottish men, sign me up. I do have to say that it is a very romantic country and I could handle a man with a Scottish accent, tamed or untamed.

Amy said...

Yowza!

I used to think the past was terribly romantic until I thought about the odors. Yuck. Keep your shirt on, Master of the Highlands. You're probably not wearing deodorant, and I doubt you grabbed a shower in the morning.

Rebekah said...

i want to be called the love pirate.

Anonymous said...

What a morning blog to click on with that pectoral muscle right in the face. I think you could write a romance novel (while at the help desk perhaps).

Lori said...

My favorite was, "Promise Him Anything."
Shouldn't that be in the self-help section or something?

Breanne said...

LOVE this. My name is Breanne, and I endorse this message.

MBC said...

Moo--They're well-fed. Quite buxom, all of them. Too true about the Scottish accent, though.

Amy--Yeah, the past is smelly. BUT I must speak up for men of the past and say that they did have skills and that's appealing.

Rebekah--I do too.

Eliana--I bet you could write a pretty fantastic romance novel yourself.

Lori--Absolutely. I just came across a good companion book for that one--How to Seduce a Duke.

Breanne--It's impossible not to love anything dealing with romance novels.

Kirsten said...

I have yet to see any strapping men in kilts (not to say I haven't seen men in kilts, I just wouldn't call them young or somebody you can introduce to your parents. I have not gone far enough north to hear the true Scottish accent (here's to hoping I will). And to be honest the weather has been pretty good so far, no mists yet. But, trust me MBC, I will let you know when either one or all of these things happen and whether or not I was swept of my feet. And may I just say the love story of Johnny Cash and June Carter is one for the storybooks.

Cynthia said...

Cowboys of the Central Utah Desert variety make nice husbands.
Maybe I'll make him a poorly made highlander outfit for Halloween.

MBC said...

Kirsten--I think you have to go to the Highlands before it gets misty.

Cynthia--If you go with the romance novel standard of costuming, all you need is a sash and a kilt. Don't even have to bother with a shirt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...