15 June 2009

I Am the Food Storage Queen

I've been trying to eat up my food storage before I go to the Land of Good Bread.

If anyone has fantastic recipes that include any of the following items (particularly if they require few additional ingredients), I'd be thrilled to have them:

polenta
quick oats (didn't realize the oats in my food storage were quick--very, very sad)
dry and/or canned beans
diced canned tomatoes
macaroni noodles
barley

The Any Muffin recipe from the Tightwad Gazette has been particularly helpful in using up my food odds and ends. It's a really basic recipe that provides rough, modifiable proportions for any type of muffin you might want to attempt. Quick oats taste just fine when baked up in a muffin, sunflower seeds and almond extract are lovely in muffins made with pineapple and carrots, and I think my canned pumpkin is going to become chocolate chip pumpkin muffins (if I can stop indulging in my oh, so happy-making snack of chocolate chip Cheerios). The generic recipe is particularly nice for those of us who are chemistry challenged and curious about food in all the wrong ways, thinking, "I wonder what would happen if I added vanilla to this chicken?"

6 comments:

Marcene Perry said...

I use quick oats in my fruit crisp. A bottle/can of fruit; oats, butter, flour, spices all mixed together and crmbled on top.

yum!

ldsjaneite said...

Use the quick oats for no-bake cookies and give them out as going away presents...unless you really want to eat them. Ick. :-) And diced tomatoes go very well with any kind of cooked pasta. Good with any white or red sauce. And I'm not sure the kind of beans, but you can make a bean and barley soup.

watermelongirl said...

Quick Oats: I use them for No Bake Cookies also. My kids love them.

Tomatoes: Chicken Cacciatore in a crock pot. Add a couple of chicken breasts and some sliced squash/zucchini and serve over egg noodles.

Macaroni: Mac & Cheese... melt some velveeta (I know, ick!)and milk then add the cooked noodles.

Amy said...

Quick oats are delightful in any kind of dessert. Make some oatmeal cookies and thank me later.

Or just give all your weird stuff to your sister and order Chinese food until you leave!

MBC said...

Thanks for the good suggestions!

Amy--You're an evil genius. Takeout has been very tempting this week.

Rebekah said...

dig a whole, dump it all in the whole. instant compost.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...