18 December 2009

MBC is Getting Married FAQ

As requested, here are the pertinent facts of MBC and Steve.

Q: How did you meet?
A: When I was traveling in Scotland, I visited Sue Anne, who was also a grad student in Bloomington. Steve and Sue Anne are friends and when we arrived at Sue Anne's house, Steve was there hanging out. He went out with all of us that night and at one point, I heard him say something about building with straw bale insulation, which, naturally caught me up short and made me think, "Wait. Who are you? And why are you talking about something I care about that no other man I have ever known has taken an interest in?" I spent that night and the next day having lots of really interesting conversations with Steve, and he came down to visit me in Edinburgh one night before I left for Greece a few days later. I then proceeded to be the worst travel companion in history, because I was always more interested in my next email from Steve than I was in ancient Greek ruins or Turkish food (I know!) or anything in Europe. I went back to Scotland to visit him at the end of my trip and then Skype became our best friend when I returned to the States.

Q: Is Steve Scottish?
A: No, he's Canadian but he's been living in Scotland for the last several years.

Q: What does Steve do?
A: Everything. Currently, he's working on a PhD. Before moving to Scotland, he worked as an engineer.

Q: Do you have a ring?

A: No. I told Steve I didn't want one. That's the way I roll. I'd rather spend that money on, say, a pair of wellies and a trip to the Orkneys or Italy.

Q: Where are you going to live?

A: Scotland for the foreseeable future.

Q: When did you know he was a keeper?
A: He sent me an email explaining functional clarity through the example of a chocolate croissant (its function, according to Steve, is tastiness). Oh, and maybe too when he sent me terrible McGonagall poetry. But I already thought he was fantastic because of many things, including: he's so smart and he keeps up with (or ahead) of me in conversations, he's interested in everything and he can do everything, he's so, so nice and thoughtful, he tells great stories (when I wake up and hear Mom laughing in the kitchen, I know that Steve is already up and talking to her). I could go on, but I don't want to make anyone gag any more than they already are. He did demonstrate another skill tonight, though, which I consider essential in a spouse--he can kill cave crickets. And you know how I feel about those.

Everybody satisfied? Any more questions?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHH!

Anonymous said...

What Steve's Mom meant was Awwwwwwww. As in "aw" I can't see for the tears of joy in my eyes and the ache in my heart caused by a young lady who sees in her son the values and virtues that make him who he is. Thanks for sharing.

Steve's Dad

PS His Mom will kill me when she reads this, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Courtney said...

Congrats!!!! I'm so excited for you.

Breanne said...

Couldn't be happier for you! We all stood in a circle at the library after closing last night and talked about how cool it is!

ldsjaneite said...

How wonderful! You deserve every blissful, amazing happiness--and he sounds fantastic for you!!! I knew I should go to Europe.

Lori said...

Just one more question...will there be a Tennessee reception?

Johanna said...

Congratulations - and though you probably don't remember me, I was one of your sister, Sarah's college roommates and am the current sometimes gym partner of your friend, Amy Wilson. I've been a lurking reader of your blogs - very enjoyable! Now enjoy being engaged (if you can - I couldn't!)
Johanna Cottle Wood

MBC said...

Thanks everyone!

Lori--We're not having a Tennessee reception, but we're hoping to pull off a small, informal engagement party before he leaves in mid-January so that Tennessee people can meet him. And, of course, we'd be so happy to see you and your family there.

Johanna--Thanks! Absolutely I remember you, especially from the time when you and Heidi stayed with our family and talked with your hands. I'm thoroughly enjoying being engaged and plan to continue to enjoy it right up until the moment Steve gets on an airplane back to Scotland, at which point I'll start to hate it.

eliana23 said...

MBC is all in love and stuff. How cute. Living in Scotland is a good reason to get married, and if you like him all the better. Thank you for the extended information session. A final question: when you gonna get hitched?

MBC said...

We're getting married February 20 in Utah.

Chou said...

Bah, my March lobbying didn't work. But February is a very good month to get married in, because it means every February from now on you will actually LIKE February, which is a huge change from the last few years. Hooray!

MBC said...

Oh, I forgot that I was going to email you and tell you that some other circumstances meant that March was out. I'm sorry you won't be able to come! You'll just have to come visit us in Scotland. And you're right--now I'll have improved feelings for February, even if it is a cold, dark month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...