20 December 2009

Wedding Preparations

This may come back to bite me, but I have to say that I find wedding planning very easy. All these years I've heard nothing but complaints about the trials and stresses of planning a wedding, but in my vast 4 days worth of experience with it, it's a piece of cake. (Now planning 4 months abroad with a rotating roster of traveling companions, THAT'S a challenge.) I'll admit, though, that our wedding may be easier than normal to plan, for the following reasons:

1. Steve and I don't really care that much about any of the details as long as we end up married at the end of the day, so conversations go like this:

Mom: Do you want a bouquet?
MBC: No.
Mom: Do you want napkins with your names on them?
MBC: No.

MBC
: Steve, do you care where we have the reception?
Steve: No.
MBC: Okay, then we're just going to use a church.
Steve: Okay.

2. We're not registering, which eliminates one more task, because we're living in Scotland so anything we receive has to be shipped abroad. I had just a tiny moment of sadness about this the other day when Steve and I were in Target and I considered the fun I would have with a little scanner, picking out waffle irons that make breakfast foods in the shape of farm animals.

3. I'm unemployed and Steve is here away from all of his responsibilities, so we both have a lot of time to get things done for the wedding. We don't have to spend all day at work or school and then try to take care of wedding details in our spare time.

So, engaged for less than a week and the following are well in hand: wedding cake, groom's cake, ceremony, reception, photography, engagement parties. Now let's just hope I haven't jinxed us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much doubt the simplicity of your wedding plans will jinx anything. In fact it will prevent a host of other possibilities from occurring and allow you the freedom from concern in order to more fully appreciate the most important event of the day when you are sealed to the love of your life.

Steve's Dad

PS If you want some detail on trivial events that can heighten emotions ask Steve about Meg's veil event on her wedding day.

Anonymous said...

Basic tips from experience: (1) Don't follow other people's tips, pointers, or advice, including my own. (2) But do follow this one. There fewer foods you serve, the smaller the window for devilish pathogens to enter the whole wedding system and flatten your guests with tummy complaints for the week afterward. (3) You guys are doing it exactly right and will never regret the absence of consumerist-over-the-topness that characterizes most current wedding celebrations. (4) Wear stuff that's comfortable. Especially the shoes. I'm talking reception here. (5) Ask Marmot Mamma for any other advice or for any needed corroboration of the above. --Marmot Dad

ldsjaneite said...

Personally (or I'm hoping) that all of our years listening to the other people complain and stress ridiculously have just helped us realize even more what the most important part (and main point) of the entire thing is: the marriage itself. You got it down! But that doesn't surprise me. Just don't let others try to add to the stress. That's what I'm worried will happen with my mom and/or sister.

Antho said...

So I'm a couple posts late, but congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Your wedding plans sounds a lot like mine and Ed's. It was great we were completely finished all our planning in a week. Mom kept trying to make is more complicated.

A month after our simple wedding Ed was MC at a big wedding. Let me tell you from our experience of being part of both it's so much better when your special day isn't marred by the fact that your slideshow that you spent months prepping wasn't perfect.

E said...

I'm all for wedding simplicity, but you really should reconsider the napkins with your names on them. They sound cool.

MBC said...

Steve's Dad--Oh, yes, I heard the veil story last week.

Marmot Dad--Thanks for the lovely advice. Yes, we've learned from your experience and have chosen to have a food poisoning-free wedding.

Heidi--Good observation.

Anthony--Thanks!

Meg--Wow! I'm impressed that you got everything arranged in a week. We're not quite that good.

E--Sorry, no printed napkins, but if you bring your napkin to me at the reception, I'll be happy to write our names on it for you. That will be even better--personally autographed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...