28 January 2010

The Class of '36

As you will recall, I'm working on the great possession purge of my bedroom at my parents' house. Yesterday I dug deep into my closet and my desk and my bedside table and found all kinds of odd things that I didn't know were there and that don't belong to me--kitchen skewers, Dad's binoculars, some kind of wilderness survival kit involving a compass and wax-tipped matches, correspondence from the 1960s, and, my favorite find, my grandma's high school autograph book from 1936.

These are some of my favorite entries (note the tiny sticker photographs in the page corners):

Remember me as very dumb.
Remember me as the high school bum.


Down in the meadow
Carved on a rock,
Are these words
Forget-me-not


Roses are red,
Violets are yellow.
In my opinion,
I'm a very nice fellow.

3 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I love these!

Anonymous said...

What a great find! I hope you don't purge that one!

CSIowa said...

It sounds like your grandmother was quite the item in her day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...