31 January 2010

I Love This Book

I just finished reading No Impact Man by Colin Beavan today. I was already familiar with the author's blog chronicling his year-long experiment in no-impact-living in NYC, and I occasionally viewed it, because I'm a fan of that type of project. I love The Year of Living Biblically and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and other books that have resulted from individuals wondering what would happen if they lived a different way.

I'm a fan of environmentalism. Clearly, since I've recently completely a trip that involved 8 airplane trips in less than 4 months, I've set up the environmental parameters in which I'm willing to live, and they include things like airplane travel and Charmin toilet paper, but a certain kind of conscious environmentalism nicely dovetails with some of my larger worldviews, like feeling a certain responsibility for the communities in which I live and voting and acting accordingly and believing that I don't need everything in the world, that I try to prioritize experiences and relationships over the acquisition of stuff (even though there are still many new things I would like to own).

That's why I love Colin Beavan's book. The author experimented with zero-impact living, but the idea is to see which environmental decisions are workable on a personal level and to what degree. The book started out a little slow for me, but I was absolutely fascinated by the author's decision to create no garbage and the steps he took to manage that in an urban center, and I really enjoyed the philosophical musings provoked by the experiment (largely because they agree with my own feelings, and I love a well-articulated validation of my personal beliefs).

Two quotes I really like from the book:

[in response to complaints that he's anti-progress]
I simply feel that now that we've so utterly perfected the walkie-talkie to the point where it has become the iPhone, maybe we could turn the great minds that brought us the Nintendo Wii to, say, getting fresh water to the 1 billion people on our planet who don't have it.
[to read some interesting information about what today's brilliant minds are doing to solve world problems, read Superfreakonomics; there's a chapter about it]

The question becomes not whether we use resources but what we use them for. Do we use them to improve lives? Or do we waste them? My life itself is a resource. How shall I use it?

Read it!

3 comments:

eliana23 said...

good quotes, I am stealing. Toilet paper is totally non-negotiable to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know getting rid of stuff won't be easy. Stuff has been around for a long time. First referenced Genesis 31:37. Even the soon to be called king of Israel (Saul)couldn't be found because he had hidden in the stuff. 1 Samuel 10: :)

KWB

Anonymous said...

PS I do agree with your comments. It's time we put the great minds to work solving serious problems as mentioned rather than inventing gaming software, and other amusements.

KWB

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...