03 February 2010

My Bedroom is a Treasure Trove

I found this piece of construction paper in my closet, and I'm absolutely fascinated by it for some reason. It's entitled "Good Things to Buy (Get/Make/Give) [MBC] for Christmas" and if memory serves, it was hanging on the hall closet of my second apartment at BYU (circa 1997). I'm surprised at how many of these things I still consider truly brilliant gift ideas for myself.


List contents (my comments in [brackets]):

  • new wardrobe from Banana Republic (torridity encouraged)
  • foot massager/chair [we had just been to Las Vegas and I spent a long time sitting in one of these in a shop]
  • construction paper
  • stamps
  • box of Chex
  • film
  • foot exfoliating stuff
  • 9X9 pan
  • ballroom [yes, as in my own ballroom to do with as I pleased]
  • trip to Budapest [I would still like this.]
  • loom (room size) - with accompanying yarn
  • torrid lover
  • happy socks [I used to only enjoy socks with pictures on them. I can go either way now.]
  • cedar chest
  • new watch
  • nifty calendar
  • *BEAD PORTICO* [would NOT like this now; I'm way over my bead portico stage]
  • ice skates
  • rocking chair
  • picnic basket
  • housekeeper
  • cheese curd
  • individual containers of yogurt [the college years were lean. items like this were great luxuries]
  • bike
  • sturdy king size bed (appropriate for jumping)
  • punt and accessories
  • flowers
  • picture frames
  • no more afflictions of leprosy/colds/allergic reactions/malaria/trips to the MHC [MHC=student health center]
  • MAGNETS (Museum Shop)
  • brush like Maile's [I have no idea what kind of brush Maile had. I don't brush my hair anymore.]
  • 2 ply toilet paper (Ultra Soft Charmin)
  • tickets to SL (Carmina Burano)/HFAC events (NY, etc. also accepted)
  • books--complete works of Shakespeare, Eugenia Onegin, poetry
  • hammock/swing [still want]
  • duck
  • earrings
  • answers to "questions of the month"
  • Venus for the bathroom (Michael's) [We found really tacky statues at the craft store.]
  • **Stove Top in the canister** [I was going through a phase. The phase has passed.]
  • good stationery
  • SILKY UNDERWEAR (not written by MBC)

I'd encourage some of these as wedding gifts, except that we're trying to limit what we have to move to Scotland. Ballrooms are so unwieldy.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Excellent... now I know what to get you for your birthday.

...I assume that by ballroom you mean a room full of coloured balls?

I also went through a beaded portico phase, or as I prefer to call them 'gypsy beads'. I even made one as a missionary, in Plain City. The fellow at the Ogden DI thought they'd never sell the giant black garbage bag full of threaded beads. Oh, the utility of such a find!

Sadly, the portico was dismantled at a later date when the beads were chopped off their strings and used in a mass object lesson at a multi-stake youth day.

Alice said...

This list would have been so helpful through the years. I am thinking 2-ply Charmin is going to be the wedding gift. Maybe I will just use it to toilet paper outside of the reception seeing you cannot carry it overseas. JK. Thanks, Steve, for commenting on the post. It was fun to stalk you via your blog and to again realize how wonderful of a fit you are for the great MBC. I have a renewed hope in finding my perfect suitor because of your story! Sigh...that was much too mushy for a Wednesday, I must move on. :)

Anonymous said...

I myself as a Charmin fan. Better yet are the new flushable Charmin wipes. We don't skimp on the toliet paper in our house.

ldsjaneite said...

Cheese curd. I hear so much about it. I'm almost craving it though I've never had it. Will that travel well in the mail? Can I even get it in a land of few cows?

MBC said...

Steve--Don't you worry, I'll make you a new MBC wishlist and post it somewhere prominent in the flat, but here's a clue: WELLIES.

Alice--That would have been a good thought, but, yes, bulky to transport.

Meg--I hear you. Charmin is one of those things that's absolutely worth the extra money.

Heidi--You never had it at the creamery at BYU? Delightful!

eliana23 said...

The more I think about it, the more I am worried about toilet paper in Scotland.

MBC said...

They've got Charmin. Now Romania, that's a different story.

Amy said...

TORRIDITY! Remember torrid shoes? And the love child named Eva? (I still like that name. I'm surprised I didn't use it on one of my boys.)

Seeing this list again brought back SO many good memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...