25 July 2010

My favorite Nova Scotian activities:

1.Going to the beach. I have determined that I need a pair of water shoes so I can go in the water and not worry about stepping on sea creatures and floaty sea bits that give me the creeps.
We visited the beach near the cottage on Friday with Steve's sister and her family. Cali loves building sandcastles.

Lexi

This is the only picture of me at the beach. It is not charming.

2.Attending community events. Yesterday was Harbourfest. We made off with bargains from the church yard sale, listened to banjo music, and rode on the Strawberry Go Round with Cali. Steve and Cali both worked very hard at spinning the strawberry. I was no help at all as I was snapping pictures.
Steve is the best at spinning the strawberry,

but Cali's not a slacker either.

3.Buying bakery bread. Steve's uncle sent us home with five jars of homemade jams and jellies one day, which I use at every possible opportunity because they are tasty. They are especially good on loaves of bakery bread, which are less expensive and more delicious than grocery store bread. In a pinch, the jams are also a treat in yogurt and oatmeal and on graham crackers, triscuits and spoons.

4.Obtaining a library card. I drove to the nearest town with a library (former home of giantess Anna Swan) a few days ago and requested a library card. I filled out an application and then the man gave me a card without requiring any form of identification or residency proof. A-MA-zing. The library is very small, like a library intended for garden gnomes, but it's a county system so I can still get my hands on Salt by Mark Kurlansky, which I must read ASAP because I just finished his book Cod and have determined that he is a brilliant writer as he made fish the most interesting topic for hundreds of pages, which is quite a feat. THEN yesterday we visited a library in a different county and they also gave me a free library card. Shazam!

My least favorite Nova Scotian activity:
1.Finding insects in my underwear. The cottage is still in a state of construction and it's located in the middle of the woods, so the bugs are always with us. Sometimes I prevail against them in our daily battles and sometimes they prevail against me.

9 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

#4-sweet! That last thing? Ewww!!

eliana23 said...

SALT is great. I feel like Steve needs to wear Lexi's hat in the sun to avoid a nasty burn.

Kjerste said...

Last night I dreamt there was a BYU-Halifax. That is my only contribution to this post.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, when living in the woods one learns to check their boots and their underwear before putting them on for wildlife. It'll be second nature by the time you leave and you'll be checking them for the rest of your life because by this time you'll have realized that maybe you had hitch hikers before but because you didn't check you didn't know.
Food for thought.

KWB

MBC said...

Eliana--Steve does have a hat remarkably like Lexi's. It was an emergency purchase in London to keep him from dying of the heat.

CSIowa said...

My ankles and feet were eaten by chiggers on Saturday. One should not wear capri pants and shoes with holes to the Nauvoo Pageant. Also, I have decided to stop mocking MarmotDad's fear of chiggers because I did not sleep well last night due to the fact that I HAVE NEVER ITCHED SO MUCH IN MY LIFE.

The beach is an excellent place to be. Carry on!

Anonymous said...

Lexi is a sweet young lady!

WHC

Anonymous said...

I didn't take a single picture the entire trip! (Dead batteries, camera misplaced ect.) Thanks so much for posting a few... poof that we were in the Maratimes! I had a great time getting to know you a bit better.

Anonymous said...

We were at Calaway Park last weekend for Thanksgiving, and the berry ride was there. Cali was overjoyed and told me all about how "Uncle Steve and Aunt Mary Bess" took her on this ride.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...