01 March 2011

Stuff I Really Extra Super Miss in Scotland (for Breanne)

1. Family.

2. Restaurants. Scotland really only provides chippies (fish & chip shops that serve a bunch of fried stuff) and curry houses. I'm sure Glasgow and Edinburgh have better offerings, but that's about it for us.

3. Many grocery items, including graham crackers, canned pumpkin, and frozen pasta.

4. Cheap petrol. Britain has something like the 4th most expensive fuel in the world. We pay about $8.00/gallon. That's why Europeans want to hit Americans in the face with a shovel when they hear them complain about gas prices.

5. Americans. Sometimes I just really miss completely understanding the greater culture and knowing, without thinking about it, the exact expression for something or the appropriate way to handle a given situation. I love many aspects of Scottish culture, but I also really love strangers who smile and hold doors open for me, which is very American and not at all Scottish.

6. Privacy. The UK loves CCTV.

4 comments:

eliana23 said...

the cctv thing is super creepy about the UK. America is barely surviving without you.

Breanne said...

Ooooo, thank you!

I gasped out loud when I read about the gas prices, $8.00 a gallon?!?!? Are you kidding me?

I might be willing to trade the US door-opening for the Ceilidh dancing. Sounds like a fair trade. =)

SCS said...

You do understand, don't you, that without CCTV there would be about 75% fewer plots for MI5, plus all those super-spies would be dead by now. Long live CCTV (as long as I'm not on it).

MBC said...

Eliana--It is creepy.

Breanne--Ah, there was ceilidh dancing at the wedding we attended last night, but I didn't want to take off my coat so I didn't force Steve to participate.

SCS--I hear ya. I never considered the dark side of CCTV when I was watching MI-5. I just thought, "Oh good, Adam's still alive."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...