21 October 2012

If You're Tired of Pumpkin

Pinterest tells me that everything I'm currently eating should include pumpkin.  At first I didn't argue.  I made my pumpkin breads and soups and curries, but Steve is not really a pumpkin-lover, so I stopped with the pumpkin and turned to another delicious fall food favorite--CRANBERRIES.

Steve bought a giant bag of local cranberries with which we made the following:
  • cranberry sauce (canned by Steve)
  • cranberry bread (made by my parents while babysitting my screaming boy child)
  • cranberry and apple crisp (inspired by a crisp Steve made in Scotland; it uses honey and lime zest and it's so delicious that as soon as our friends with the beehives give us our honey supply for the year, we're making another couple of batches)
  • Nantucket cranberry pie (recipe from the Pioneer Woman as adapted from Laurie Colwin, author of my favorite food memoirs)
The cranberry pie was a huge hit.  I think it will be my new Thanksgiving pie.  

I actually undercooked this pie.  I ate the piece on that plate and then threw it back in the oven to set it up better and get more of a crunch on the top.  Delicious both ways.  So delicious that we ate it all before I could get a picture of it fully cooked.

Nantucket Cranberry Pie
from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
  • 2 C cranberries, heaping
  • 3/4 C pecans, chopped
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 stick (113 g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 whole eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 t almond extract
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 T sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 F.

Generously grease a pie or cake plate.  

Place cranberries in plate, cover with chopped pecans, and pour 2/3 C sugar over cranberries and nuts. 

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, butter, eggs, almond extract, and salt.  Stir together gently.  Pour batter in ribbons over cranberry mixture. 

Bake 45-50 minutes.  Sprinkle 1 T sugar over the top 5 minutes before end of baking.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...