23 May 2015

What To Read


I recently finished Laura McBride's novel, We Are Called To Rise.  It's the story of an Albanian school boy in Las Vegas, an injured soldier, and a woman whose marriage is ending, as their lives intersect.  I enjoyed it, and I thought it would be especially good to read with Marisa de los Santos's book, Love Walked In, and one of my favorite novels, Cry, the Beloved Country.  If I had a book club and I were the boss of the book club and I could make everyone in the book club do my bidding and actually read books instead of just get together and chat (which always happens), I would make them read these three works together. 


3 comments:

CSIowa said...

Be the boss of your own book club! If you keep it small enough, there will be conversation about the book. Mine started at 2 and has now been capped at 8, because more than that cannot sit comfortably at a restaurant for lunch and include everyone in the same conversation. Also, we don't lobby for books or vote. We take turns choosing and it's a founding principle that you are not required to like the book. I could get behind letting you choose three.

I will put these on my summer reading list.

eliana23 said...

This book is sitting in my room right now. I will start it immediately because I am tired of the heavy things I've been reading.
Sundays don't get better just so you know.

CSIowa said...

Sundays do get better, it just takes a REALLY long time, possibly until children start leaving your house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...