30 August 2007

Buried Treasures

I'm moving on Saturday, so I've been madly cramming my belongings into boxes and uncovering all kinds of forgotten treasures along the way, including some striped pants I love but can't wear because they don't match a single thing I own, a Martha Stewart 9x13 pan I bought on some kind of magical everything-costs-negative-15-cents sale last summer, and my aircraft posters.

One of our library patrons used to come into the library every day, steal all the pens and highlighters from the reference desk, and then frantically draw boats and airplanes on poster board. All the posters were given away as gifts to the librarians or security guards. One of the security guards even commissioned a poster for his girlfriend. The artist especially liked our co-worker, Ben, so Ben got many, many posters, although sometimes they were addressed to "Ted." I received three posters, all aircraft.



For some reason, my planes NEVER have pressurization. You probably can't see the detail on this one, but it very emphatically says NO PRESSURIZATION. That seems like a bad deal in a plane. Don't you need that? I think you do.

Posters always include details about the vehicle. The admonitions are my favorite part. Do Not Fly Outside the United States. One of the vehicles didn't allow pets on board. The artist never explained why.


I really do love these posters, but I don't think they're going to be moving with me this weekend, so this is their last hurrah. Say good-bye to the nice posters.

4 comments:

Annie M. said...

Oh boy, we who work in the public sector get to deal with some interesting people, eh? Where are you moving MBC? Did you buy a house?? Are you going to have roommates?

MBC said...

I did NOT buy a house and I am NOT going to have roommates. I AM going to have a sewing room, though. I'm just moving across town. I must move every year, you know. It's my inner mandate.

Annie M. said...

Make sure to email me your new address! That's great you will have a sewing room! I wish I had a sewing room! Right now my sewing machine is under my kitchen table!

Ann-Marie said...

i too have received many posters from this special artist and even had him do one for my roommate. i threw one of them away when i moved last, but have a boat (i think) here at my current house! i too loved the restrictions he has on these drawings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...