27 August 2007

In Praise of Bread

The Musical Tourettes is strong upon me today, but I'll try to rein it in long enough to tell you about my new favorite store bought bread. Aspen Mills makes a really lovely Honey Wheat bread.

Here are its major strong points

1--It's delicious.

2--It's a Utah's Own product. Aspen Mills is located in Ogden, so, if you live in Utah, you can feel good and self-righteous for supporting local business. It's distributed (at least in my town) through Sam's Club, so you don't even have to go to Ogden to buy it (although then you're supporting a giant, soul-sucking chain, so you have to be slightly less self-righteous).

3--Here's the entire ingredient list: Stoneground whole wheat flour, honey, water, salt, yeast. Real bread! It costs just a fraction more than other brands, but after my brief, brief foray into the world of generic bread (so generic that the label just said BREAD, not even a made-up, knock-off name like WONDERful BREAD), I'm sure we can all agree that not having your bread taste like tissue paper notably improves quality of life.

If you're looking for the best bread in Utah, try Volker's. The bakery's located in Kamas, Utah (yeah, I don't know where that is either), but they send trucks to the farmers' markets across the state. I'm especially fond of their multi-grain bread. Volker's is a little pricey, but it's so delicious. In fact, just thinking about it is making me hungry, so I'm going to have to go scavenging through my desk for some kind of treat now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MBC, love this blog. I am at the reference desk and I laughing way to hard for the patrons. I would probably blog if I could be that funny online. Somehow I think my forte is quick qiubs.

Pinchy

MBC said...

Glad you like it (and that you left me a comment!). Quck quips are definitely one of your many strong points.

Anonymous said...

Now that makes me want to move back to Utah, because the bread here is not so good. Also, I could be near to you, and that cute little Tuey. Mom

Anonymous said...

You are welcome! I just noticed I used "quibs" and not "quips" in that original comment. Man, my brain has gone to pot!

Pinchy

MBC said...

Yes, proximity to Tuey is one of the best things about living in Utah. He came to the library today and drooled on my shirt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...