12 September 2007

The Bad Morning

I’ve been reading The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-to-Basics Guide, published by DK, makers of the most beautiful nonfiction books. It has instructions on how to make cheese and raise goats and all kinds of things that I’m interested in even though I live in a rental house in an incorporated city and live the dependent-on-corporate-America life (although I do plan to make my own cheese this year as soon as I get my hands on some rennet).

Today I had the Bad Morning, though, and my plans have changed. Now I’m going to move to Norway and marry Jaran Knive, one of the sheepdog handlers from the championships, and be his wife and he will be a vet (fortunately, that’s what he already does) and I will make cheese and leave my stress-filled, modern existence behind. (Now I just hope that Jaran doesn’t have a wife or an aversion to strangers who want to marry him just because they like his dog, want to go to Norway, and dislike car repairs.)

So, the Bad Morning started because I had to run my car in for an oil change, and the coolant light was on, so I needed a little antifreeze, too. What I thought would cost me an hour of free time and $25.00 turned into THREE AND A HALF hours in two different car repair waiting rooms and over $400.00. In fact, my car’s still across town. I’m going to have to spend my lunch hour walking back to pick it up, at which point the mechanics will probably tell me that I also need a flux capacitator that costs another $50.00, and I won’t even be able to complain, because I know nothing about cars.

So clearly the only option is to sell the car and move to Norway. And don’t start telling me about how they have cars in Norway, too! I’ve had a bad day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what was wrong with the car? And maybe you should have had a man take it in. They are notorious at scamming unsuspecting women. Mom

MBC said...

I know, I wish Janar could have come, but it's so hard to get my imaginary fiance on the phone to come help with daily tasks sometimes. I'll call you and tell you about how every single part of my car needed work. Two separate repair places did tell me I had a leak in my pump, though.

Nemesis said...

Oooh, fun book! Will have to check that one out. I just read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and got lots of good ideas.

MBC said...

nemesis--It's like having a celebrity post when you leave comments. LOVE your blog.

Marcene Perry said...

Speaking of sheepdogs, Jonathan wants 4 BIG dogs (we've narrowed it down to big rather than small, which Shane says is better).

We have also discovered (at William's birthday party last night) that Jonathan likes raw goat milk, so we might raise goats at our new home. Then you and Janar can get goat milk to make goat cheese.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...