25 October 2007

Good (?) Food

Yesterday I started reading Hidden Kitchens:Stories, Recipes, and More from NPR's Kitchen Sisters. So far, FASCINATING. If you read and enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, there's a section on the Ojibwe rice harvest that discusses fears about genetically modified rice harvests that you'd appreciate and there's a section about homeless communities who manage to cook for themselves using George Foreman grills and there's just story after story about food culture and traditions specific to certain populations, communities, or families. Which got me thinking about the strange food habits of my family and friends.

There are foods that would never be served to guests that are still extremely satisfying to eat. Almost essential to eat in some circumstances, because they are so comforting. My best friend in the 2nd grade was named Rebecca, and she taught me how to make fairy bread--white bread coated with butter and sprinkled liberally (think quarter of an inch high) with sugar. I would NEVER have been given this to eat at home (although I suppose I did eat cinnamon toast). We sometimes got sugar cereal as a a special treat at Christmas time, but even then we ate it as a snack, not as breakfast. However, every few years, I would come home from school, and my mom would be standing at the stove making a fried bologna sandwich for herself, a comfort food that makes me queasy. I've heard tales of Marmot Dad's childhood tang balls, Tang powder smashed into bread, and every now and then I really crave a fried potato sandwich for myself. Fried potato sandwiches violate my personal food rules. It's just a starch (a fried starch!) piled onto another starch with ketchup, but it's so delightful! I think the woman who cut my hair when I was a very little girl in Kentucky first made me a fried potato sandwich. Bless her heart.

Favorite comfort foods and odd creations?

5 comments:

Annie M. said...

When we moved to VT I remember my mom was APPAULED at "Fluffer Nutters"- sandwiches made with white bread, marshmallow fluff, and peanut butter. They must have been an East coast thing because none of us had ever heard of them before moving to Vermont. I had never tried one because (as you may have guessed since our moms are twins) we NEVER would have had white bread OR marshmallow fluff in the house, but when I was in the 3rd grade I forgot my lunch one day and Tedra Guyette shared a fluffer nutter with me. Disgusting sounding, yet pure delight for a 3rd grader.

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started--I don't think you'll allow the posting of a chapter book detailing my culinary (mis)adventures.

As of late, I've been eating a lot of grilled cheese and pickle sandwiches. I can't believe it took a pregnancy for me to discover such a tasty treat.

marmotgma said...

Your father thinks a fluffernutter is just heaven, and I think "processed sugar and fat!". Grandma Frances' comfort food was milk toast: toast with butter and sugar with hot milk poured over. To each his own, I guess. Mom

Amy said...

Soggy cereal. Three meals a day. Unless you have children and have to pretend to have good eating habits. Snark snark.

MBC said...

I've never tried a fluffernutter, but maybe I'll make myself one on Elvis' birthday. I hear they were a favorite of his.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...