16 November 2007

I Heart Kitsch

One of the best things about being a librarian is that every single thing is relevant to my job. Librarians are the people who know how to find out about anything, so the more we know, the better. Which is why it was entirely professional development when my co-worker showed me this fantastic site, Roadside America, yesterday at the reference desk and why it remained professional development when I spent the next half hour investigating two-story outhouses,


American stonehenge rip-offs,


and giant fiberglass men.


I love seeing interesting, unique attractions when I travel (although my friends and I drew the line at the Phallological Museum in Iceland and, wisely I think, chose not to go inside--DON'T look it up), but I never seem to stop at wacky roadside attractions. They're never actually near the road. They're 30 miles out of the way, and I come to the giant billboard advertisements for them after driving for 11 hours when I desperately want to find a motel for the night and would sell my family to find one.

So, I want to hear—I desperately want to hear—about interesting places you’ve been or interesting places that exist in your states. Gaudy giant squirrel monuments, cheese chalets, or classier establishments, as long as they're interesting classy establishments. Please share.

8 comments:

Annie M. said...

Phallological Museum in Iceland?? EW. I think you made a wise choice not to enter!

Courtney said...

Hello first time-poster, long-time reader.

I was in Scotland when I encountered this statue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:William_Wallace_Statue.JPG

The story I was told by the tour guide is that some guy dying of cancer saw the movie Braveheart in hospital and received from it the inspiration to recover. In tribute, he decided to carve a statue of William Wallace (er, Mel Gibson) and wanted it placed at Stirling Castle only they didn't really fancy it. But then the man did die of his cancer and left the statue to the state with the request it be placed at the castle and for some reason his greatest desire was granted. They put the statue in the parking lot. I think you will join me in saying it is atrocious, but a definite must see.

Courtney said...

So I don't really know what I'm doing, but I can't seem to get the link to work so go to wikipedia and do a search for the Wallace monument and you will find the picture there.

MBC said...

Thanks for sharing, yankee girl! Here's the link to the statue. It is, indeed, appalling. I wish someone would carve a statue of James Murray and have it placed in my front yard. I was feeling pretty inspired while watching Under the Greenwood Tree last week.

Amy said...

Paul Bunyan and Babe, his big blue ox, are the main attraction of Brainerd, MN. They are giant. It will never be on your way to anywhere, so if this idea is special to you plan an outing. In the summer.

Ann-Marie said...

As you know i am going to sleep in a wigwam in February and I'm VERY excited about it!

Chou said...

I'm voting for the giant Muskie in Hayward,WI.
(http://www.freshwater-fishing.org)

Anonymous said...

In elementry school I did a report on North Dakota. (South Dakota, where my grandparents live, was taken and ND was the closest state available to it.) I learned they have a giant buffalo statue. It is something you can see from a highway though, so not too far off the beaten track.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...