07 February 2008

Some People Are Nice (Not Me)

I was feeling cranky today, and none of our patrons were doing their part to make the case for humanity. They were all aggravating and belligerent. I was pretty sure I was going to have to build myself a castle on a mountaintop away from society and protected by guard dogs and trained monkeys with tiny pistols and a moat full of boiling oil and sharks (sharks resistant to boiling oil) and accessible only by a secret cable car used to transport delicious cheeses and good reading material to me, where I would build a giant magnifying glass-type apparatus to destroy segments of the population when they bothered me, when in walked our old custodian. He no longer works for us, because the Library hired a new cleaning company, but he'd returned to visit. I've mentioned him before and the fact that we're friends even though his English is limited and my Spanish is almost nonexistent. He approached the reference desk, chatted with me for a minute (we really only have 3-4 conversations that we recycle), and told me that he had a box for me. He went out to his car and came back with a large, white bakery box full of pastries oozing dulce de leche. He handed it to me and said something long in Spanish. I shook my head to indicate that I didn't understand. He thought for a minute and said, "Because you are so beautiful." Then he told me to share with my friends and left to find the Spanish librarians. Well, shoot, that'll take the fire and vinegar right out of you. Sooo, I reckon I won't wipe out humanity today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A musical post! You have scored (note the double meaning) a blog entry full of delightsome music, with rising and falling phrases, crescendi and diminuendi, carefully crafted motivs, satisfying cadences and harmonies, the requisite exposition and development, a lovely coda ... it dances and sings, sonates and resonates like a lilting scherzo. Congratulations! Brava! Encore! (Marmot Dad)

Alice said...

well, I think you got your Valentine's present early. I was hoping for dirt but now that I have read your blog, I am totally shooting for a nice Lexus! Thanks for helping me dream big. I am now a dream chaser!
I made it through parent-teacher conferences so I don't have to build my own cream cheese castle. Oh wait, that would be a castle built by stacking football helmets and the cream cheese would be brought via F-14 fighters. I always mix that up! :)

Courtney said...

I was totally on board with your castle and destroying annoying bits of humanity when in walks a white knight and saves the world (so cute, my heart absolutely melted)--too bad that much of the rest of the world wouldn't be able to see him for what he truly is; maybe we can still destroy a few bits of humanity. Now I must run off and find my custodian to see what he is planning for me (actually we have like 10 custodians--sweet!)

Moo said...

Yeah! Happiness and delight. Your post revived my faith in humanity and genuinely nice people.

Ben said...

And that's how a spanish once-custodian saved the world from the evil magnifier-wielding librarian. (Closes book. Fade out)

MBC said...

Marmot Dad--Glad you liked it (and found so much more in it than I intended).

Ben--I was actually thinking this morning that this story would make a good children's story book with its nice moral (and a castle). Or a Sunday School lesson, if you leave out the destroying the world part.

Lori said...

That's awesome. I could use a delicious prize for my beauty right about now.

Rebekah said...

they probably had lead in them...

Nemesis said...

Yeah, I would pay like a hundred dollars to ride in that cable car. And to take a turn at the weapon of destruction.

Except I know that you actually ARE a nice person, as the bag of Thorntons that I'm getting ready to frame in some sort of shadowbox will attest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...