07 February 2008

Valentine's Day and Love and Gifts and Stuff

It's one week until Valentine's Day. Lots of people (read: women) have issues with Valentine's Day. I do not. I think it's a perfectly nice holiday. Single women especially seem to struggle with Valentine's Day and think they need to be in relationships on that day. But here's the thing--even when you're IN a relationship on Valentine's Day, most men have a severe disadvantage, because they haven't watched enough BBC adaptations to know just what's expected of them. I have many more pro-Valentine thoughts, but I'm tired and I'd rather eat toast and experiment to see how far I can slide across the kitchen floor in my stocking feet than blog tonight.

Here's a list of lovely Valentine's Day gifts, though.

1. Several airlines, including Delta, American Airlines, and British Air, offer gift certificates in denominations of $50-$5,000. The PERFECT gift. I secretly long for plane tickets at Christmas every year, but this is a much better option.

2. The Utah Shakespearean Festival also offers gift certificates. They're available in any denomination.

3. Costco sells discount gift certificates for one pound boxes of See's candy.

4. I've mentioned heifer.org before and I still think it's an excellent gift option.

5. A friend recently sent me this link to an organization that sells recycled paper jewelry made by Ugandan women.

I'm sure Roger Hamley would give me gifts like these if he knew me. And if he lived in the 21st century. And if he were real.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Excellent ideas. I especially like the plane ticket and Shakespeare Festival ideas. And flowers are good too. I know they are a bit typical, but I love to get them.

MBC said...

I never thought I was a flower person, because I'm so pragmatic and actually enjoy getting kitchen appliances as gifts. I love getting flowers, though, especially when they're unexpected.

Chou said...

All your options sound good. I'll nudge Ben your way, although this year I was nice and announced that I wanted him to make me a pie. :)

MBC said...

I didn't know Ben baked!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...