13 May 2008

Green Living

I went to the Live Green Festival in Salt Lake this weekend. People who believe in green living fall into a few different camps. One group is comprised of people who believe that the things they do and the products they purchase and the organizations they support impact everyone else and the environment and, because of that, believe in making socially responsible decisions and trying not to be selfish Hummer drivers who burn books for fun and like to make baby animals cry. I'm down with that (and, no, I don't want to talk about the veal saltimbocca I had for dinner the other night). Another group of people who are pro-green are the kind of people who like to tell you about the 52 kinds of allergies from which they suffered until their herbalists taught them to be one with the Earth and how to make their own blue jeans out of hemp and self-righteousness. Those are not my people. There were a lot of them at the Festival, though. I was watching some performers on the stage (powered by a bicycle), and a man was wearing feathers in his hair and playing a flute. I'm betting he falls more in the second category.

The best thing that came from the Festival was my fantastic honey. I bought a pint of honey from a local farm. I can't even tell you which farm, because the honey came in a plain glass mason jar. No label of any kind. It's DElightful, though. It's increased the joy I receive from my nightly toast snack, which I did not believe was possible. So. Good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never made it out of the library to the festival, but I did look down from the third-floor window at one point and watched the band with the bicycle. I could not hear them, because the window was in the way; were they any good?

I'm always in the market for good honey. Maybe I will sacrifice part of my lunch break next year and attend.

Courtney said...

I'm jealous of your local honey buy.

MBC said...

I only saw one set of performers, and they were pretty good. I liked the guitarist. I couldn't hear the flautist very well, but he seemed more earnest than talented.

Chou said...

Hm. I like to think I fall into the first category. We heard a hilarious song a few years back on car talk about SOBs (excuse my language) driving SUVs and laughed our heads off.

Amy said...

Funniest post ever. Thank you for the phrase about constructing blue jeans from hemp and self-righteousness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...