02 September 2008

The Sheepdog Report

I attended the Soldier Hollow Sheepdog Championships yesterday. How I do love the sheepdogs. Sadly, this year we had weather issues at the event. Last year it was incredibly hot and we spent a lot of energy crouching under umbrellas to avoid the sun and fanning ourselves and holding ice against our burning skin and paying too much for cold, refreshing drinks. This year we spent a lot of time crouching under umbrellas to avoid the rain and hail and covering ourselves with blankets and huddling together for warmth and paying too much for hot chocolate. I didn't bring enough warm clothes, but, fortunately, Bank of the West was a sponsor of the event and they handed out stuffed, toy bears at the gate to two people in my group. Let me tell you, a couple of stuffed bears down your shirt is almost as good as wearing a second sweatshirt.

Herding in the rain.

Those bears were delightfully warm.

Note the ominous clouds in the background.

The weather cleared up in the afternoon and by the closing ceremonies, it was a beautiful day.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

someone's going to be eating some delicious doggy stew tonight...

Anonymous said...

if you had taken your sheep and your dog, you would have been just as warm as with bears....i'm just saying.

john

Courtney said...

Did you get my texts explaining that it was too cold, wet, and muddy for the two year olds? I ended up with my mom's phone for the day and sent the texts successfully according to the phone but I was later told that my mom's plan doesn't provide for texts--huh? I've never even heard of a plan that doesn't include texts. Sorry, I'm not usually as unreliable as I was this weekend.

MBC said...

Rebekah--All the dogs at Soldier Hollow have to have won previous titles this year, so even if they don't perform well at this one event, their little lives are safe. And I still say it's a vicious lie!

John--Next time. Next time.

Yankee Girl--I did get your texts, and it was a wise decision. Small people would have been miserable. It was really cold and there were two pretty fierce rain/thunder storms.

Alice said...

Man, I look so good in those designer shades. What a hottie. Thanks for the memories. I sure do love sheepdogs. (Even in the rain!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...