30 October 2008

14 More Things about Me

Remember when we started this game with the narcissistic lists? We're going to play it some more.

1. I always pick the slowest line at the grocery store. Always. Doesn't matter if there's only one person in front of me, as soon as I get in the line, the cash register breaks, the person in front of me loses her wallet, and the cashier decides to show us all a slideshow of bears dressed like humans.

2. I've never had a broken bone.

3. I have no living grandparents.

4. Sometimes, for no particular reason, I like to kick. I picked this up from the Ceramic Genius.

5. I like watching live sports but TV sports bore me.

6. I don't like being looked at when I'm in a group, especially at events like white elephant parties, where everyone has to take a turn at something and I know that my turn is coming up and everyone will be watching me. Even if I'm friends with everyone in the group.

7. I like to read in every genre except for horror.

8. I once pretended to fall asleep so that a boy who was visiting me would go away.

9. Ankles remind me of anorexia. Elbows too.

10. I love to be AT the ocean but I don't like to be IN the ocean.

11. My grandma taught me to play poker.

12. When I was growing up, I was scared of my dolls.

13. I didn't get my first car until I was 24. It's the car I still drive.

14. I'd rather wash dishes by hand than put them in the dishwasher.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

My sister, a fairly awkward teen, pretended to be asleep in the car during the ride home from a double date because she couldn't think of anything to say. One of the members of the other couple asked her date about her and he said, "I think she's pretending to be asleep."
They didn't go out again.

Moo said...

I find the dolls ARE scary, at least most of them.

MBC said...

Cynthia--It's not a bad strategy, as long as you're a really excellent fake sleeper. Which I am. It worked out really well for me, except that my roommate and her boyfriend were there, too, and I "slept" so convincingly that they felt entirely free to have a very touching farewell full of heartfelt sentiments in my presence.

Moo--Too true. When I sleep in my old bedroom in my parents house now, though, I don't feel the need to put the baby dolls in the linen closet (like I did in elementary school) to keep them from coming alive and getting me at night.

Amy said...

I love narcissistic lists.

My daughter lines her (twin) bed with a line of dolls and stuffed animals to protect her at night.

Maren said...

Hi, there! This is Maren Elliott (was Maren Nelson) an old friend from your BYU Russian days - remember me? I recently e-mailed Marcene and she gave me a link to your page, and I have been laughing my head off every since. Your story about fake sleeping and having to witness your room-mates fond farewell is too hilarious. I whole-heartedly approve of narcissitic lists as well! Hope you are having fun in UT!

Love,
Maren

Courtney said...

I'm with you on the ocean bit. Plus I find washing dishes by hand somehow to be very soothing.

MBC said...

Maren! Of course I remember you, and I'm so glad to hear from you. Email me (there's a link in the profile) and tell me what you're doing and where you are now.

SCS said...

The very notion of a blog is, from square one, semi-narcissistic. But you're fully exonerated by your #6, which paints you as fully and wholly non-narcissistic. --Marmot Dad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...