30 March 2010

The Fashion Police

Doesn't Steve look sharp here? Yes, yes, he does. Very handsome.


Occasionally, though, we have a difference of opinion about his wardrobe. Early in our relationship, we were having dinner at Steve's house. We'd just come from church and Steve went to change into more casual clothes. When he reappeared, he was wearing The Sweatshirt. It's silk-screened with an outdoor scene of a wolf and boots on a porch. It's not exactly to my taste. In fact, when I saw it, I had to have a little internal conversation with myself about how it was only a sweatshirt and it didn't indicate anything negative about the content of Steve's character or have any bearing on my feelings for him personally and that all it meant was that Steve quite liked the Smoky Mountain Gift Shop look.

After we were engaged I suggested to Steve that perhaps he should take that particular piece of clothing out of his rotation.

Steve: What?! I wore that sweatshirt (actually, he probably called it a jumper) specifically to impress you.
MBC: What?!
Steve: Yeah, I thought it would make you think I was the kind of guy who liked to stay home in the cabin in front of the fire. You know. It's cozy.
MBC: That is not the message I was receiving from that shirt.
Steve: But it's so nice. I got it in 1992 and it's still in perfect shape.

Yes, I could tell that it came from 1992.

The week before the wedding, Steve and I were talking on the phone and he told me that a friend was over and wanted to have a last hurrah kind of night. The friend suggested they do something I wouldn't allow Steve to do after we were married, so the activity Steve came up with was to wear The Sweatshirt.

Sunday Steve pulled out a zip-front sweatshirt and started to praise it. I wrinkled my nose at it and noted that it's several sizes too big for him. He could shoplift a pot-bellied pig out of the store while wearing that sweatshirt and no one would notice.

Steve: What?! It's so great. It was my granddad's. I've had it since 1992.

At least he doesn't wear lady pants.

6 comments:

CSIowa said...

White Levi's (which had been worn with a cream-colored, black-pin-striped shirt from the Gap).

Anonymous said...

We were wondering when the fashion police would catch up with him. ALL family members have commented along the same lines as you in the past, especially in regard to wearing Grandad's clothes. As my father weighed in at pretty close to 300 pounds. Time for an upgrade in wardrobe.

KWB and JB

eliana23 said...

Excellent sweatshirt description. I am actually crying from laughing so hard. Todd has a few shirts that he will not get rid of but he is not allowed to wear; one is silky and very 1991 and he says it looks like water. It looks like crap.

Anonymous said...

Yes, please remove the Granddad clothing from Steve's wardrobe. Thank heaven for Angelo (Itailian eye for the engineer guy) and Ben, otherwise Steve would have worn the sweatshirt on your wedding day most likely.

Lunicrax said...

HAhahaha!!! this is the awesomest post... I love it!!! (and the photo as well! :D

Anonymous said...

MBC ... Please pass word to Steve that he must at all costs maintain and preserve precisely that degree of wardrobe tastelessness he had before entering into matrimony. Otherwise the other spousal half of said matrimony will gradually whittle away toward the real core of who he is, and once she's there, there's just no going back. Keep whatever you can, Steve. I still have my Copper Rivet big buck sweatshirt, and I wear the ladypants with pride. MD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...