02 April 2010

It's National Poetry Month (in that other country I live in sometimes)

Remember Amy Lowell? She wrote "The Letter." This is another poem she wrote that I enjoy. I find the calling out and shouting bit a bit too much, but the last two lines are lovely and the phrase "wedge you away from me" is such a nice image. I like Ms. Lowell's turn of phrase.

The Taxi
by Amy Lowell

When I go away from you
The world beats dead
Like a slackened drum.
I call out for you against the jutted stars
And shout into the ridges of the wind.
Streets coming fast,
One after the other,
Wedge you away from me,
And the lamps of the city prick my eyes
So that I can no longer see your face.
Why should I leave you,
To wound myself upon the sharp edges of the night?


My hot cross buns call to me. (Happy Good Friday!)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love it!!!

And I nearly forgot that it is National Poetry Month. Thanks for the reminder.

Carl Rollyson said...

"The Taxi" is one of Amy Lowell's best poems. She is often overlooked now and not taught enough in school. I'm working on a biography of her funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. In the meantime, I've also published a collection of essays, "Amy Lowell Among Her Contemporaries," available from amazon.com, bn.com, and iUniverse, com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...