27 July 2011

In Praise of Pancakes

Steve is a good husband all the time, but he particularly shines when it comes to being the husband of a pregnant person.  He took over all the dishwashing and cooking when I started muttering, "Smells, smells," every time I entered our kitchen/living room and he's very patient about explaining over and over again how it is that listeria works and why it is that I don't have listeriosis and he seems to be perfectly fine with my insistence that we eat pancakes at least once a week even now that I'm feeling quite a lot better.

These are some of my favorite pancakes:

1. Cornmeal griddlecakes--This was my preferred recipe before I was pregnant.  I've gone off cornmeal a bit since then, but normally I really love the slightly crunchy texture and they taste amazing with proper maple syrup.  The recipe is from Jeremy Jackson's book, Cornbread: A Love Story with Recipes, which I gave Steve for Christmas because he's so enamored with cornbread.

2. German Apple Pancakes--This isn't exactly the recipe I use, but it's close enough.  These are NOT puff pancakes baked in the oven.  They're cooked up like normal pancakes, but they taste a bit crepe-like and are full of shredded apple.  These were a special Saturday morning treat when I was growing up, and I made them for the first time in ages a week or so ago.  Delicious!

3. Pikelets--Steve just discovered these yeast-raised Australian pancakes.  The yeast makes them a bit chewy.  They're very nice with fresh strawberries and yogurt on top.

Tonight I think we're going to try these cornmeal zucchini pancakes, because the strawberries are on their way out but we've got a vegetable drawer full of squash.

Any favorite pancake recipes we should try?

4 comments:

Holly said...

Here's my favorite -- Blueberry Pancakes. It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe. I also like swapping out the blueberry for chocolate chips, or even using both. :-)
Ingredients
1 tablespoon lemon juice from 1 lemon
2 cups milk
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, preferably wild, rinsed and dried
Instructions
1. Whisk lemon juice and milk in medium bowl or large measuring cup; set aside to thicken while preparing other ingredients. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to combine.
2. Whisk egg and melted butter into milk until combined. Make well in center of dry ingredients in bowl; pour in milk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (a few lumps should remain). Do not over mix.
3. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes; add 1 teaspoon oil and brush to coat skillet bottom evenly. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto 3 spots on skillet; sprinkle 1 tablespoon blueberries over each pancake. Cook pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and cook until golden brown on second side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Serve immediately, and repeat with remaining batter, using remaining vegetable oil only if necessary.

MBC said...

Mmmm, love Cook's Illustrated. Will have to give these a try. Thanks!

Jefran said...

In Scotland the traditional pancake is a fat wee beast - technically they are drop scones. Recipe at http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2548/drop-scones.aspx Be sure to wait for the bubbles before you flip them! Leave out the sugar and you have a savoury version. My mum made them on an old traditional griddle pan (like this -http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/NICE-ANTIQUE-CAST-IRON-GYPSY-GRIDDLE-PAN-OR-GIRDLE_120725053725.html) which I still have and think of her every time I use it. I hope you don't mind me butting in but you seem to be in my old home town.

Best Wishes - Jefran

MBC said...

I never mind comments from readers. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...