19 July 2011

Strawberry Plants Forever

[Pretend there's a delicious picture of strawberries right here, because I can't find the flash drive where I saved all the pictures for blog posts.  Not having Internet at home cramps my style sometimes.]

We are swimming in strawberries.  So far we've harvested 20 lbs of delicious berries from our allotment and they just keep coming.  I find them rotting off the plants because I can't pick them fast enough.  Steve made jam with some of them while I helpfully watched from the couch and did some moaning (I like to remind him that I'm pregnant in case he feels like giving me a foot rub or a ruby).  We froze some.  And every day we eat them in yogurt and on cereal and plain with milk.  I even made Aunt Bettie's Wonderful Strawberry Dessert (imagine another delicious picture of a layered dessert of nutty crumble and a cheesecakey concoction and strawberries here) which is about to kill us because it's so rich and so irresistible.

Anybody have any favorite ways to use up strawberries?  We're out of space in the freezer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could trade them for some black raspberries?

Love

Dad

ldsjaneite said...

Love the post title. :-)

I am a huge fan of Angel Food cake, whipped cream, and covered in strawberries.

Anonymous said...

Somehow my comment ended up on another blog, but I suggested you share with the nice people who gave you maternity clothes and offered baby things. They will love you forever. Love, Mom

chandlerguera said...

One of my favorite strawberry recipes is easy and courtesy of Martha Stewart. Bring these to your next potluck and they'll be gone in minutes!

http://www.marthastewart.com/267321/filled-strawberries

MBC said...

Oooh, good suggestions! (but I haven't ever seen black raspberries here, Dad)

Anonymous said...

So, it sounds like you might have had enough of the sweet stuff. Why not try Strawberry Salsa? I've had it before, but never made it, although this particular recipe does sound delicious.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blcon24.htm

MBC said...

Mmmm. Thanks for the suggestion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...